Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #46 @ Genome

Hybrid View

#46 @ Genome

Hey, we are at rank 46!!!

Only 10.000 units more and we are at 45 ;D

Good Guru

Re:#46 @ Genome

That's so great ...... Too bad that many of us loose control of many boxes at work or otherwise we would be much further .... Oh well .......

I would add some other boxes if the client wasn't that bad.

Right now genome@home is only running on my firewall ... it is started at boot-up and runs 24/7.
    Now take my main desktop box...I'm running Seti@home because I have a nice gkrellm plugin so that I can start/stop Seti with one click. I don't want to go to the console everytime and start the client manually (and then turning it off when I come back) - I start it with one click, it runs in the background, and I stop it with one click.
    Or take the windows box of my father. I installed Seti on it and it is running as screensaver. Whenever he is not working on this box for 5 minutes, seti starts up. As soon as he moves the mouse again, seti is gone. Last time I checked on the genome-windows-client, this wasn't possible.

So the main reason for me why I'm using Seti as my main distributed computing client is because of the client program itself ... Seti has done a much better work here.

Any suggestions about the points I listed?

Good Guru

Winderz Genome@home is a pain. But the linux client is great. I got it starting in my inittab on a tty. So I dont even see it if I dont want to Other than that, I dont use Seti (dont believe in aliens). I dont really use winderz either for the matter :-\ Why the hell am I here? Am I an aardvark trapped in a geeks body?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=22;threadid=4095;start=0#40965 date=1026405346]
    But the linux client is great. I got it starting in my inittab on a tty. So I dont even see it if I dont want to [/quote]

Yup, like at my firewall - I start it at bootup with a script and redirect the output to another tty.
    But what is the option at a desktop box where I don't want to run genome 24/7? Genome has no gkrellm plugin, no screensaver option,... You have to start/stop it manually ... and that's the reason why I only have it running at my firewall.
    Let's hope they will put some more work into the client software.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=22;threadid=4095;start=0#40903 date=1026356798]
    That's so great ...... Too bad that many of us loose control of many boxes at work or otherwise we would be much further .... Oh well .......
    [/quote]

you are not kidding there

Good Guru

I **MAY** be able to get one of our servers to assist, however, the desktops are pretty much a no go. P-233's are the norm here, and that is wayy too slow to get any usability out of the system and run GAH. Ill elt y'all know wzzup with the server..... If only it were a service....

Good Guru

[quote author=Schotty link=board=22;threadid=4095;start=0#41070 date=1026484669]
    the desktops are pretty much a no go. P-233's are the norm here, and that is wayy too slow to get any usability out of the system and run GAH.
    [/quote]
    Not quiet ... My gateway box ( Debian ), my nephew box ( Win2K ) and my other Windows test box ( Win2K ) are all P 233s running GAH. My wife box is P II- 300 ( Red Hat Linux/Win 98 ) and my box is Athlon 700 ( RH 7.2 ); all running GAH.

Good Guru

My box crawls to a sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww painful screeching halt when GAH is enabled. Then again, with p-233MMX, 32 MB ram, 512K VGA cards we arent ver fast when just running regular apps....

my linux boxes don't even blink when running g@h or seti, i do have teh -9 tag in my cron entries.