Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Books to read...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books to read...

Hybrid View

Books to read...

i'm extremly bored and I think think that reading a book will reduce my boredom.. What are good books to read that are not Linux or computer related...

Re:Books to read...

any biography by Kitty Kelly. i read her books about
    Frank Sinatra, Nancy Reagan, and now im starting
    her book "the royals" about the UK royal family.

Anything by Orson Scott Card within the Ender universe. There are 4 books in the saga and then at least two books that happen during the time of the hedgemon (though I havn't read those yet). They are great reads.

SAMS teach yourself C++ in 21 days, I just can't put it down...

*ups* Computer related

1984 - Orwell, great book

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=4090;start=0#40524 date=1026109249]
    SAMS teach yourself C++ in 21 days, I just can't put it down...

*ups* Computer related

1984 - Orwell, great book
    [/quote]

Are you serious? Isn't C++ your favourite language, LC? ...and Teach yourself in C++ in 21 days is a good book to you? Weird. I have that book, but I bought it in 96 or 97 and I regret having bought it. Maybe the newer version is better, but I don't think too highly of those "Teacher yourself [Insert Phallic Object Here] in 21 days" books.

As for books, well I think I'd like to know your age gmoreno before giving a good answer to your question as I believe some (if not all) books (if not most) depend on your level of maturity.

In any case, here are some that I'm reading or in queue:
    "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas (reading -- almost done)
    "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan
    and of course the Lord of the Rings, or the Hobbit.

Read some Hermann Hesse, read some Franz Kafka or read some Charles Dickens (personally I despise Dickens, but you either love it or hate it)

Teach yourself C++ in 21 days is the best beginners C++ book I've ever read... it's awesome..

8) C++ 8)

Fantasy and Fun

1) I would highly recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. But I have to warn you that it is addictive, and there are lots of books in the series. (The new book is coming out in November!!!!!)

2) I second Ashcrow's suggestion: The Ender series is great. You can read each of the books in a day: They are fast paced and well thought out. Hugo and Nebula winners

3) I just read David Sedaris's Me Talk Pretty One Day. It is a book of short, autobiographical essays/stories that are pretty darn funny. Many of my friends had suggested this book, and it is worth a read.

4) Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars is great (the whole series). The science in it is excellent. The characters are interesting, and lots of cool stuff happens. Hugo and Nebula winners

5) Octavia Butler Parable of the Sower or was it parable of the seed? It's a scary near future book. Her series, Exogenesis is also really good, but it's quite weird. I know she just won an award!!

6) William Gibson: Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

Great Reading: fiction and non-fiction

7) Rudalfo Anaya, Bless Me Ultima is a great book.

8) The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy. Winner of the Booker Prize.

9) The Elegant Universe, Brian Greene. Finalist for the Pulitzer.

10) I am a big fan of Thomas Hardy. My favorites are: Far from the Madding Crowd, Jude The Obscure, and Return of the Native.

11) Herman Hesse, Siddhartha is good.

How about the H2G2?

[quote author=Mimi link=board=14;threadid=4090;start=0#40528 date=1026121263]
    Fantasy and Fun

1) I would highly recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. But I have to warn you that it is addictive, and there are lots of books in the series. (The new book is coming out in November!!!!!)

2) I second Ashcrow's suggestion: The Ender series is great. You can read each of the books in a day: They are fast paced and well thought out. Hugo and Nebula winners

3) I just read David Sedaris's Me Talk Pretty One Day. It is a book of short, autobiographical essays/stories that are pretty darn funny. Many of my friends had suggested this book, and it is worth a read.

4) Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars is great (the whole series). The science in it is excellent. The characters are interesting, and lots of cool stuff happens. Hugo and Nebula winners

5) Octavia Butler Parable of the Sower or was it parable of the seed? It's a scary near future book. Her series, Exogenesis is also really good, but it's quite weird. I know she just won an award!!

6) William Gibson: Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

Great Reading: fiction and non-fiction

7) Rudalfo Anaya, Bless Me Ultima is a great book.

8) The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy. Winner of the Booker Prize.

9) The Elegant Universe, Brian Greene. Finalist for the Pulitzer.

10) I am a big fan of Thomas Hardy. My favorites are: Far from the Madding Crowd, Jude The Obscure, and Return of the Native.

11) Herman Hesse, Siddhartha is good.
    [/quote]

WHY ARE ALL THE GOOD ONES TAKEN ?!?!?!?

Thomas Harris - The Dragon (think that's the english title)
    Clive Barker - The great and secret show, Everville
    Arthur C Clarke - Cradle
    Dean r Koontz - hideout, dragon tears
    Stephen King - The Stand