Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Buy Has StarOffice 6.0 for $49.00

Best Buy Has StarOffice 6.0 for $49.00

Yup, saw the add in todays' paper. I think I am going to go out and buy a copy and help boost Sun's sells so they can take a nice bite out of M$. ;D

Re:Best Buy Has StarOffice 6.0 for $49.00

excellent!! 20 bucks cheaper than online

Very cool Best Buy has a 'deal' with Microsoft so I am supprised to see them have Star Office!

I got it! Ok, the $20s off is by rebate, but that is OK. Installed like champ - no problems at all, plus, I got a new Java RTE in the process. All I had to do was manually add an entry in the KDE menu.

First impressions - faster than 5.2. Much faster. I find it to look much better too and the removal of the integrated desktop was quite a nice thing to behold. Fonts are great. They rival those of M$ Office. Import of Word and Excel files is impressive. All my formulas in Excel import and work. Writer even seems to handle complex formating, such as tables and TOCs. I am very impressed.

Even at this early stage, I think that I could say that this is a real competitor to M$ Office for many users. And SuSE 8.0 + KDE 3 + StarOffice 6 is a desktop system that is ready for Joe User.

More to follow as I continue to work with this suite.

Best Buy is one of the few stores around here that sells Linux software.
    They even had Suse for sale in one of their ads.
    They always have a nice selection and even have some people there that half way know something about Linux.

[quote author=Fly Fisher link=board=2;threadid=4081;start=0#40866 date=1026336826]
    Best Buy is one of the few stores around here that sells Linux software.
    They even had Suse for sale in one of their ads.
    They always have a nice selection and even have some people there that half way know something about Linux.
    [/quote]

wow - you have had much better luck than I have. At least our BB does carry linux stuff.

Some Best Buys carry Linux stuff .... in fact they sell a good amount of Red Hat and SuSE stuff. What I was talking about is the deal they have with MS over software (IE: Remove mac software and don't carry OS-less PC's). I remember a few of our bosses getting stuff from MS by 'ratting' on customers that insisted on OSless PC's. They got a little cash, a grill thing and money for a dumb piza part for the store.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=2;threadid=4081;start=0#40888 date=1026349452]I remember a few of our bosses getting stuff from MS by 'ratting' on customers that insisted on OSless PC's.[/quote]

WTF? Why would MS care about people insisting on OSless PC's? Did they send a hitman to their house to make them pay for windows even though they didn't buy it or something?

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=2;threadid=4081;start=0#41031 date=1026450364]
    Did they send a hitman to their house to make them pay for windows even though they didn't buy it or something?
    [/quote]

LOL. The idea was if a persoin bought a PC without Windows they must be using a pirated copy from a friend. It is/was a bunch of crap ... don't know if it is still going on or not.

Good Guru

Best Buy will cave under any pressure from a major vendor. They just want the right of first thought when the company looks for what pawn to use. Plus they dont care about their customers one bit. I know, because I worked there. I am suprised that they even offer StarOffice. Last I heard, BB had a major deal with M$ which excluded alot of software from having a home on the shelf.