Thread: requirments ?

requirments ?

anyone know the requirments for running an dns server, as in can you use a dyndns service instead of static ip, is it hard to set up reverse dns and all that ?

Good Guru

Re:requirments ?

The requirement for running public DNS servers is that you have static IP address.

If you have dynamic IP, it's better to run Dyndns servcie and it's easy to set it up ( as it requried you to run their script IIRC ).

But for me, it's easier to use domain managment service such as mydns.com and mydomain.com so that I can manually change it when my IP change ( which is like half a year a time stuff ).

The only thing you need static IP address for running DNS server is that it's harder to change at root servers which takes somewhere between 24 to 72 hours and world wide operation.

is it possible to have a dyndns as your static ip for example poo.dyndns.org ? or do you need *.*.*.* ?

Good Guru

you could bind a dyndns domain name to a static IP. Would cut the costs of registering the IP to a domain name.

Good Guru

Yeah, it's possible to use dyndns service with static IP address BUT why would you want their domain name and all that stuff when domain register with mydomain.com is only $14.95 a year.

If only for personal use, I see no reason why you can't use the IP address only or get someone to point with their personal domain.