Thread: CMedia Sound

Kind Mastermind

CMedia Sound

CMedia sound chips...are they any good? Are they well supported in Linux? Most of the good motherboards with sound have CMedia 6-channel audio, so I want to know if it is worth it to buy a motherboard that has this chip in it. Do the Linux drivers, if any exist, make full use of the six channel capability? Are the drivers being actively updated?

Thanks, cheers.

Re:CMedia Sound

Mine worked fine. Can't remember what model it is because I use a SB Live instead but when I used my cmedia sound chip, it worked pretty good (Supported by kernel)

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=segfault link=board=3;threadid=4043;start=0#40145 date=1025779629]
    Mine worked fine. Can't remember what model it is because I use a SB Live instead but when I used my cmedia sound chip, it worked pretty good (Supported by kernel)
    [/quote]

Thanks, segfault, that makes me feel better about possibly buying a cmedia equipped motherboard.

Cheers

Good Guru

Mine also work great .... I'm not a big fun of sound card chips but mine is channel through my Pioneer amplifier so I'm not sure I've full made used of how many channels ....

Mine is on board with my MSI motherboard and it is supported by many distros that I've tried out of the box before I settled with Red Hat 7.2 as my desktop.

my new motherboard is an ASUS A7V333 and i believe it uses the CMedia 6 channel audio onboard soundchip. so does this mean i wont have to find out and load the module for it, linux upon bootup installs it for me?

C-Media 8738 audio controller :-X

Good Guru

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=3;threadid=4043;start=0#41013 date=1026428730]
    so does this mean i wont have to find out and load the module for it, linux upon bootup installs it for me?

C-Media 8738 audio controller :-X
    [/quote]
    I have the exact same chip set. I checked it.

It's CM8738 and uses cmpci driver on my Red Hat 7.2 system. RH automatically installed it for me for both onboard sound and NIC ( which is SiS900 based and I had to manually download and install the driver when Win2K was on. Since I can't find the driver on the Net ( their link was dead at that time, I had to asked the webmaster of my motherboard manufacture to send me the driver files ).

Linux needed nobodies' help for configuring and getting it work.