Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SMP Design

Thread: SMP Design

Good Guru

SMP Design

Is there a good resource (Book, URL, whatever) that gets into the technical aspects of doing SMP? I have decided that the best theing I can do to get back into electronics, is to do my dream -- build me a computer from the parts up. I am looking at a 65C02 CPU based architecture using cards for the CPU's. I figure, it would be cool to steal a BIOS and ROM from my Commodore64 and modify it to handle multiple processors, more memory, SCSI or IDE devices and some easily acquired ram technology. 30 pin simms are probably still overkill, but a 32MB stick of SDRAM is cheaper than a single MB of 30 simm.

I would like to build the board in a way that allows cards for banks of cpus and a bank of ram for each card. I figure I should be able to still acquire 16MB simms, and if so I will do 16 CPU cards using one DIMM. If I cant, I will go for 32 CPU cards. If possible, I may adapt the sound channels to use a PCI based audio card (like a SB). That has yet to be determined, since I am having difficulties locating SID chips. The OS will be the C64 Linux. I of course will need to reprogram alot to take advantage of the larger pool of RAM and CPU's. That is going to be a major problem for me -- but Ill tackle it when I get there, I will hopefully have a working box

As far as the video and such -- pretty much the same. I probably will adapt a PS2 port for the keyboard. I will need to redo the keyboard so it looks like that of a C64. Since I will need a very large case (well, more than likely, since I cant afford to have my designs fabricated any lifetime soon), there will no longer be a singe "computer" unit that we all came to love and enjoy. More along the lines of a pimped C128-D

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ahhh..... what I could have!

[me=Schotty]laughs maniaclally, like the mad idiot he is[/me]
    "Mwha ha ha ha ha"

Re:SMP Design

hi Schotty,
    The fist place i would look is in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/smp.c - then i would look at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMP-HOWTO.html to see what the hell smp.c was saying.
    this looks like it would be a tough project - the 65C02 is a nice processor for embedded stuff - but it is kinda wimpy other wise, it can only address 64k of memory natively. Good luck - you will need alot of beer!!

What have you been drinking Schotty...... and why didn't you share with your old buddy Lovechild ?

Good Guru

Well guys, thanks for the help! AS to what I am on -- High on Commodore64 crack! I love that damn computer and want a Über64. As for the insisitance on staying with the 6502 architechture -- I know the 6502 well, want the damn register problem fixed (hence the 65c02), and want to say that the C64 and Linux is on my desktop -- whaddabout yours :P

I will do this..... I will.....

Schotty, if you don't do this, it's no more beer for you! ;D

The C64 must live on!!!

The only thing I would really see to pose a problem, is the fact that it is a 8-bit processor. Of course moving up to 32-bit, or even 16-bit could ( pushing it ) make it less stressful. Of course since you are planning to use a mass quantity of these CPU's, this will probably be an easier task then the others. The adressable RAM should be good to go. I think it is something like 4GB. The IRQ's, data-bus, and the internal register size are the things I see as a threat. Although, that's just me. I can't wait to see this going. ;D

Generals: Bring the beer, and the 6502 Linux powered tanks!

Good Guru

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=14;threadid=4032;start=0#41022 date=1026434645]
    Schotty, if you don't do this, it's no more beer for you! ;D
    The C64 must live on!!!
    Generals: Bring the beer, and the 6502 Linux powered tanks!
    [/quote]

Well.... now I REALLY know what my vacation time will be spent doing.....

Do you want some 30-pin SIMMs? Let me know if you do, I'll send them to ya. ;D