Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reiserfs to ext3fs - is it possible

Reiserfs to ext3fs - is it possible

I am thinking of trying ext3fs, but use reiserfs at the moment. I dont have enough H/D space to compress my stuff and move it,

I use the 2.4.18 kernel, and it has ext3 built in, So is there a way of converting to ext3 without moving data.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

Mentor

Re:Reiserfs to ext3fs - is it possible

AFAIK the answer is no.

Good Guru

As much as I hate ReiserFS, and love ext3 -- I gotta agree with Cloverm. I don't think that FS conversions are flaky at best. FIND a way to backup and go from there. But I am glad to see you ave seen the light and you are ditching ReiserFS !

Bummer!!!.
    O.K. I suppose i'll have to apply the ext3 patch to my Libranet-2.4.3 kernel and reinstall to be able to use ext3, Ah well a project for a rainy day.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

[quote author=Schotty link=board=1;threadid=4028;start=0#40257 date=1025873593]
    As much as I hate ReiserFS, and love ext3 -- I gotta agree with Cloverm. I don't think that FS conversions are flaky at best. FIND a way to backup and go from there. But I am glad to see you ave seen the light and you are ditching ReiserFS !
    [/quote]

ReiserFS 0wnz j00!

Whats wrong with it anyway? I've been using it for about 1 year (Maybe more) on two computers without any problems. I've also heard reports of it being a LOT faster at disk access than ext3, especially loading KDE3.

[quote author=segfault link=board=1;threadid=4028;start=0#40454 date=1026035903]
    Whats wrong with it anyway? I've been using it for about 1 year (Maybe more) on two computers without any problems. I've also heard reports of it being a LOT faster at disk access than ext3, especially loading KDE3.
    [/quote]

It is faster for most things but it doesn't journal data (only metadata). In general ext3 is safer so most people like it a bit better.

Good Guru

[quote author=segfault link=board=1;threadid=4028;start=0#40454 date=1026035903]
    [quote author=Schotty link=board=1;threadid=4028;start=0#40257 date=1025873593]
    [/quote]

ReiserFS 0wnz j00!

[/quote]

For home desktop machines, you may have me on that one. Reiser can be noticeably faster. But with a server -- Reiser will blow up on you. I have had a few problems my self with Reiser, although I may be in the minority (for desktop purposes). Reiser only is faster in small files, whereas ext3 is more consistent, edging out much more on large files.

As someone once said, "If it aint broken -- dont fixi it!". Perhaps you may be best off following suit. I have been using ext3 since RH7.1, and have had nothing but joy from it. I think we can all agree that ext3 is wayyy better than ext2 ;D

And LiNuts -- if you have a spare drive you may be able to just copy your data over and reformat your main drive in whatever FS you want (ext3, JFS, XFS, LVS). That would be the safest way. Or burn /backup to tape.....

It will be interesting what happens once Reiser4 comes out. I'll be using that as soon as I can (Having backups of my whole system of course though)

As i do not use my machine as a server, i guess i wont get any benefit from ext3, Also there is no patch for the 2.4.3 kernel ???. So i'll just stay with reiserfs,

Like Schotty, i haven't had any problems with reiserfs. ( except for a massive power failure, then i had to rebuild the tree in my /~ dir.).
    Cheers
    LiNuts

when i switched from reiserfs to ext3 i noticed lower memory usage by all my programs. i thought it was very weird but seeing as how ext3 didn't slow down my fast ass system one bit, i was only happy to find out that i was actually using less memory
    but, does anybody know why ext3 makes ur system use less RAM than with reiser?