Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Well, LNO is upgraded... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, LNO is upgraded...

Re:Well, LNO is upgraded...

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=3990;start=0#40958 date=1026402683]
    Implied vulgarity???
    [/quote]

Well... Actually it was self-censored vulgarity, like f**k and s**t, but implied vulgarity (like fsck) was apparently against Housen's rules too.

Good Guru

He seems like an anus-cavity.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=13;threadid=3990;start=0#40894 date=1026355917]
    With all due respect, I absolutely disagree. I have had some help from LNO, but the notion that I won't be using Linux if LNO weren't there is just untrue. I'm fine with my local LUGs and mailing lists and BBSes like Linuxorbit, LJR, Linuxlaboratory, thank you.
    [/quote]
    LJR got started by a LNO member, as well as Linuxlaboratory, you wouldn't even have known about them without LNO. Also, Linuxorbit I believe is run by LNO members, or at least moderated by former or current members(I've even seen gonzoJohn posting on LNO recently) So three of your examples you found out about from LNO. So if nothing else it accomplised that for you.

I didn't say that all of you would still be using windows if it wasn't for LNO. But a lot of people got into linux through LNO, or got further into linux becuase of it. I was using Linux before I went to LNO. But the truth is that LNO got me through rough patches where I most likely would've quit linux. Kept with it, if no other reason then the wonderful community.

You can talk about how bad all the LNO members are, but truth be told, I see more bad talking of LNO here, then I've ever seen over there of LJR(can't remember seeing it over there). So tell me which community looks un-friendly to an outsider?

Believe me, I'm not complaining about LJR. It's just that several of the ex-LNO members are pretty critical and nasty towards LNO, and this isn't the first thread I've seen it in. Kudos to clovern(I believe it was him) for locking the one thread I saw that got really bad.

There is a LJR because there isn't a good LNO. There is just a used-to-be-good LNO.
    LNO averages about 50-100 active users at any one time. Seems like that's good odds for getting questions answered, and seems to imply that a lot of people find it good. Also, with 30,000 members there's going to be jerks, and usually they are the most vocal. However, that doesn't make the rest of the place bad, or the rest of the members.

Evil Honkey Kenshi, and Schotty: That Housan guy is long gone. Havn't seen him since that thread where everybody pretty much thought he was a jerk, and he banned a bunch of regulars. The guy we got now, seems pretty laid back, actually likes linux, and has participated in some threads(even used a vulgarity or two, if you're curious).

Also, Linuxorbit I believe is run by LNO members, or at least moderated by former or current members(I've even seen gonzoJohn posting on LNO recently) So three of your examples you found out about from LNO
    Just for the record, Linux Orbit was launched about 2-3 months before LNO. We did not enjoy the immediate success that Sensei did, but have hung around all the same. I still cruise most of the Linux Help sites and throw in my $0.02 when I can.

[quote author=11000 link=board=13;threadid=3990;start=0#41917 date=1027017370]
    LNO averages about 50-100 active users at any one time. Seems like that's good odds for getting questions answered, and seems to imply that a lot of people find it good.
    [/quote]

More people use Windows than Linux ... just because there are more peopel doesn't mean there are more people that know what they are doing. The odds might be better on paper, but then again it's best to fly on a plane that has a staff over 105 since they have the best flying record.

Also, with 30,000 members there's going to be jerks, and usually they are the most vocal. However, that doesn't make the rest of the place bad, or the rest of the members.
    That is a very true and valid point.

[quote author=GonzoJohn link=board=13;threadid=3990;start=0#41921 date=1027018401]
    Just for the record, Linux Orbit was launched about 2-3 months before LNO. We did not enjoy the immediate success that Sensei did, but have hung around all the same. I still cruise most of the Linux Help sites and throw in my $0.02 when I can.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I wasn't sure when you started Linux Orbit, but I was pretty sure it was started before you visited LNO. That's why I listed ya'll seperate from LL and LJR. The only reason I mentioned your site there, is because there's probably a good chance that Compunuts heard about Linux Orbit from an LNO member, since that's where I heard about it. Of course, that's not the only place to hear about Linux Orbit, it's just that most LNO members from about a year back did know about Linux Orbit.

Evil Honkey Kenshi, and Schotty: That Housan guy is long gone. Havn't seen him since that thread where everybody pretty much thought he was a jerk, and he banned a bunch of regulars. The guy we got now, seems pretty laid back, actually likes linux, and has participated in some threads(even used a vulgarity or two, if you're curious).
    [/quote]

Yeah, I know. That new guy unbanned me, and I've been hanging out some amusing myself on Craig and Frith's posts. They may be trolls but they're the biggest entertainment in that direction. I'm just shocked it took so long to get unbanned.

[quote author=Evil Honkey Kenshi link=board=13;threadid=3990;start=0#42015 date=1027064478]
    Yeah, I know. That new guy unbanned me, and I've been hanging out some amusing myself on Craig and Frith's posts. They may be trolls but they're the biggest entertainment in that direction. I'm just shocked it took so long to get unbanned.
    [/quote]

It's not so much that it took so long, as much as it was the fact that there wasn't anybody that could unban you. That Housan guy dissappeared after about 2 days, and then we didn't hear anything, until the new guys said everything was getting upgraded(apparently the HALs had been talking to them previous to that). But now that there's people in charge, the one guys visits at least once a day(I see him in the logged in member list that often) and apparently fixes accounts pretty quick when people have problems or something. I think vvx got banned in the same thread you did, and I can't remember if he's been back or not.

Good trolls do provide plenty of amusement, and I wouldn't quit a site because of good trolls(like craig). In fact, I've been accused of being a troll myself from time to time. Even though I don't think I've ever purposely trolled, unless it was concerning Debian.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=13;threadid=3990;start=0#40894 date=1026355917]
    With all due respect, I absolutely disagree. I have had some help from LNO, but the notion that I won't be using Linux if LNO weren't there is just untrue. I'm fine with my local LUGs and mailing lists and BBSes like Linuxorbit, LJR, Linuxlaboratory, thank you.
    [/quote]
    LJR got started by a LNO member, as well as Linuxlaboratory, you wouldn't even have known about them without LNO. Also, Linuxorbit I believe is run by LNO members, or at least moderated by former or current members(I've even seen gonzoJohn posting on LNO recently) So three of your examples you found out about from LNO. So if nothing else it accomplised that for you.

I didn't say that all of you would still be using windows if it wasn't for LNO. But a lot of people got into linux through LNO, or got further into linux becuase of it. I was using Linux before I went to LNO. But the truth is that LNO got me through rough patches where I most likely would've quit linux. Kept with it, if no other reason then the wonderful community.

You can talk about how bad all the LNO members are, but truth be told, I see more bad talking of LNO here, then I've ever seen over there of LJR(can't remember seeing it over there). So tell me which community looks un-friendly to an outsider?

Believe me, I'm not complaining about LJR. It's just that several of the ex-LNO members are pretty critical and nasty towards LNO, and this isn't the first thread I've seen it in. Kudos to clovern(I believe it was him) for locking the one thread I saw that got really bad.

There is a LJR because there isn't a good LNO. There is just a used-to-be-good LNO.
    LNO averages about 50-100 active users at any one time. Seems like that's good odds for getting questions answered, and seems to imply that a lot of people find it good. Also, with 30,000 members there's going to be jerks, and usually they are the most vocal. However, that doesn't make the rest of the place bad, or the rest of the members.

[/quote]

I remember the good ol' LNO days. I remember the hours of waffeling and back tracking Linux people would do all the time when faced with the unreliability claims of Windows 2000.

Goughmezz! I remember you from way back. You were perhaps LNO's greatest troll ever.