Thread: MythTV?

MythTV?

Has anyone played around with this?
    MythTV

I'm interested in building one.... just wondering if anyone here has actually done it yet...

have one sitting right beside me, though i did like it, the services they use with xmltv to get the tv listings seem to break a lot, like when the website they use changes their layout it breaks, ect ect, so i dunno if its ready for primetime on the tv component, not till they get a more stable way to get the listings to you

thats cool. is it a home brew?

I have a 1U case with an AMD 1800 in it that I plan on using. I need a TV Card and a big enough HD to do it though..... I think it will kick ass.

yea its home brew

dual athlon xp1800 (soldered to be mp's sshhh :P) bunch of ram two 160gb seagates, i gave up on the tv component since it broke,and never bothered to fix it, so its mainly for playing media, server and storage, i have the PVR350 tv card, gf4 ti4200, it was originally being put together as a server box, but that changed half way through when someone backed out of a project so i got stuck with it

dood thats cool.

I'd do it, but my wife would go ape shite, she thinks I already have too much computer stuff.....

That's why computer stuff just needs to get smaller, so our wives can't see it.. I've got this itty bitty office with my (rather large) desktop tower, another little tower for my web server, an l-shaped desk and another little one, and 2 chairs. The whole room is, like, 8x9. I need a bigger place, as I'm really interested in starting a collection of old-ass hardware. The lab that I work in has some old surplus machines like some old Sun SPARC stations from the Big Hole in the Texas Ground (read: Superconducting Supercollider) that I'd love to get my grubby little hands on to mess around with. Fun stuff. Oh, and we even have some old NeXT boxes. How'd you like to have something like that running a NetBSD firewall?

I keep telling my wife that it'd be cool to get a box up and running as an entertainment station, but she just sees it as frivolous. O well. I'll convince her one day. Well, I guess that means she may just come home and see it already there. 8)

BTW, mcangeli, I love the avatar. That's one of my favorite movies of all time. Peter Sellers was the man, especially as Mandrake. My favorite Kubrick film is still 2001, though, as it broke such new ground in film making. Some of his older stuff is well and good too, such as The Killing. I just saw that one again recently, and it's awesome -- kinda like a '50s version of Reservoir Dogs.

D00d... it sounds like I would never leave your place of work...... I'm green with envy!! :mrgreen:

The sysadmin at my lab showed me one the other day that we're going to try to get up and running this summer. It's a pre-SPARC Sun server, with COAX ethernet. I'd never seen anything like it. Don't think I'll ever actually get to bring any of that stuff home with me (sigh) but it's still pretty cool that they're there.

The workstation that I use up there is a dual PowerMac G5. It's one of the sweetest machines I've ever had the pleasure of working with. My next computer buy is a PowerBook. I like OS X, and I plan to dual boot it with Gentoo. Won't be 'til December, though.
    \"I will do what I have to do to be reelected.\"
    --George H. W. Bush, January 3, 1992

\"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.\"
    --George W. Bush, September 29, 2000

Ho, ho.