Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Router, NAT, and VPN server - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router, NAT, and VPN server

Re:Router, NAT, and VPN server

Sorry if I am blind but, Schotty can you send me a link to the Open BSD firewall guide. I am really trying to learn more about firewalls. Thanx in advance.

Good Guru

Sure. The pf.conf is what you are mainly concerned about. Nat.conf is for --- well natting.

I got the link here and the OBSD home page. There is a great tool there that you will love -- an online man page. I use that for looking up shit for pf.conf. It is reallllllly useful. Plus at the bottom is a great BSD forum. It has some really bright Free/Open BSD users there. I personally am rather inactive there.

Guide

OpenBSD home page

FreeBSD Forums

Great guide. If I read it enough I will start to get the jist of the IP forwarding and shit. Do you know of any good books that are good for newbies to firewalling? If I can learn the basics, I will be able to use my imagination and come up with a good scheme for myself. Thanx again , ill shit

Good Guru

Well, not really. The best advice I got for you, is to block all by default. And open up what you need. That is the best option for the firewall side. For the rest, disable service not needed, and do a check on what's left for any security holes that have been found. Apply the patches and go from there. Also, sometimes there are known issues with a particular piece of software, which requires a downgrade (you would'nt believe the amount of morons who dispute me on this.... new version == new bugs) to operate properly. With that kept in mind, you can develop a plan/procedure for keeping servers up and running most efficiently. Remember, downtime sucks -- and whtaever you can do to prevent that, will be your weapons.