Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router, NAT, and VPN server

Router, NAT, and VPN server

I've got a PII 266MHz box for free, and I've been NEEDing a NAT setup so when my friends come over, they can get online. I'm not going to be behind it, and my other server isn't either. The way my network is setup right now is I've got 2 computers, this computer and my server external. They both have external IP addresses. However, I also have an extra NIC in both of them; the extra one each have an 192.168.1.x/24 IP addy assigned to them, and they are ment for internal traffic only. The server is mail server, file server, DNS, and webserver... it does a few other things, but that's the big thing. I'm running RedHat 7.3 on this one, soon to be Gentoo 1.3a. And Debian potato on my server.

Anyway, my router like I said above is a PII 266Mhz machine I got for free from my mom's work. After I get a new power supply for it, it'll be ready to go. I want to put FreeBSD on it. I need it to route traffice between the following subnets:

--192.168.1.x/24 (local private subnet, people will be able to put an IP address via DHCP in this subnet for internet access via NAT when they are over at my house)
    --192.168.11.x/24 (VPN assigned IP addresses to VPN clients)
    --10.1.1.1/32 (an applience in the living room)
    --10.0.0.0/24 (one of two subnets that on a friend's network on other side of town.. will be going over VPN)
    --10.1.0.0/24 (second subnet of friend's network over VPN)

I also may look into wireless networking with 2 or 3 of my friends in the same town here, but that's not any sooner then a year probably. Don't need to worry about that now.

Now, that's what I need to do for routeing and NAT. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to setup routing and a NAT?

Finally, and probably most importantly overall, VPN server. I'm looking at FreeSwan for an IPSec VPN solution. What do you all think about it? Anyone used it? Is it very hard to get setup and working? Currently, my friend has a PPTP based VPN server (on Windows 2000), but we all know it's not secure in any way or stable. So, I wanna use IPSec. Is it hard to get a Windows 2000 router to connect to an IPSec VPN server and have the routing tables setup right?

If you all can just kinda point me in the right direction, that'd be great.

Thanks,

-ee99ee3

Good Guru

Re:Router, NAT, and VPN server

Read my OpenBSD or GnuVince's OpenBSD gateway plain english tutorial.

OpenBSD is better and easier IMHO. If you got a cable/dsl connection and a floppy, it will take you ~30-45 minutes to get the system installed and configured. To get X up and purty, that is ~60 more minutes, depending on your *NIX skills of course.

Trust me -- I was pushed onto OpenBSD by GnuVince and Ashcrow here. I am glad they convinced me. Lightweight and secure as hell!

Heads up...NAT is broken in FreeBSD 4.6. Works in 4.5, 4.4, and 4.3. Before 4.3, I dunno...

Search this forum for the firewall that I published that works with IPFW, enables NAT, and keeps the gremlins out of your LAN.

Good Guru

Thats why I mentioned OpenBSD ;D

I'm going to have to try OpenBSD... :P

Good Guru

WOHOO!!

You'll be happy. Plus you have the BSD ports tree to have fun with. I just wish there could be 3d nVIDIA support in OpenBSD though....

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=3946;start=0#40389 date=1025968762]
    I just wish there could be 3d nVIDIA support in OpenBSD though....
    [/quote]

Well, in that case... :-[

I'm updating FreeBSD 4.6 with cvsup right now. Maybe that will get NAT working. I'll post the results after I finish the job.

Good Guru

Why, does Free have nvidia 3d support? AFAIK, only linux is supported.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=3946;start=0#40393 date=1025969302]
    Why, does Free have nvidia 3d support? AFAIK, only linux is supported.
    [/quote]

Nope. BTW, the FreeBSD update did not fix the NAT problem.

Good Guru

Dude -- if its just a gateway to do natting and firewalling, use OpenBSD, and read my guide I put on there. It cant get much easier. If you have a good broadband connection you can have the stuff up and going in about an hour. That spans the time from when you pop in the boot floppy till you have a useful gateway. My guide was made for my moron (to unix) boss and to be able to go step by baby step to get the bad boy up and rockin in the event it goes to computer heaven and I am nonexistent (as far as Hell goes,I work for satan and her husband).

As for games -- BSD blows. As for usablity and reliability -- BSD kicks some royal ass (especially OpenBSD). At this point, if there is a server, its OpenBSD. Desktops get RedHat. No questions anymore. I am tired of the games other distros put me thru.