Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Finally, a cool class!

Thread: Finally, a cool class!

Finally, a cool class!

After two years of taking dumb, Java-based, Windows-based computer classes, I finally get to take a cool class. This class is all about UNIX programming. We can only program in ANSI C using either VI or EMACS. Towards the end of the term, we get into a brief intro into Perl.

We are using Solaris, not Linux, but I'm hoping the two are close enough for me to transfer my skills both ways. We also have the option of using CDE. I've never used CDE before, but I've used Linux clones of it (I can't remember its name).

I've never been restricted to ANSI C before. I've never actually had a C programming class (they were all Java-based), so I don't even know where that line between C and C++ is (I know it has something to do with classes, etc). I don't even know the difference between ANSI C and Non-ANSI C (something about no inline functions or assembly. Bummer). Luckily, gcc (the compiler we use) has an -ANSI option to let me know if I'm using ANSI C.

I'm just glad to be away from those Java-based classes. I don't like Java because it encourages not only sloppy coding, but (even worse) it encourages lazy teaching. My instructors rarely even mentioned memory allocation or pointers and other such things hidden by Java, even though those topics are highly relevant to the topic and to Java (for example, everything is considered a pointer in Java, so a good understanding of them is essential). I imagine Java has its uses, but I can't really figure out what those uses are. It is painfully slow. Even in the day of 2GHz computers, we still don't have enough speed. Java just makes everything slower. All users want speed, preferably instantaneous speed; most users could care less about cross platform compatibility. Even still, I can write a very fast app in C++ that is very cross platform compatible using toolkits and libraries like Trolltech's QT.

Anyway, I hope this class lives up to my (unrealistically) high expectations.

Re:Finally, a cool class!

I disagree about Java but sounds look a cool class. At mu University we all code on Solaris from CS 2 on.

Why are you guys restricted to ANSI C? K&R is much better!

way to go! i took unix last term, it was also based on
    a solaris8 machine, but was broad enuf to point out
    the differences in the diffferent shells (not much for most things).

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=3919;start=0#39210 date=1025032975]
    I disagree about Java but sounds look a cool class. At mu University we all code on Solaris from CS 2 on.

Why are you guys restricted to ANSI C? K&R is much better!
    [/quote]
    I don't know why we are restricted to ANSI C. That is what the instructor told us to do.

As for Java, I think I'm just bitter because my instructors used Java as an excuse for not teaching us important things. Now, I have to program in C on UNIX and I have no formal training about any of those "advanced" topics such as memory allocation and pointers. If you look in the programming section of this forum, you'll find several posts with me asking all kinds of questions regarding memory and such. All I know is what I've managed to piece together from online tutorials (many of which have conflicting or incomplete information). So, I guess its not Java's fault, but it is in the way

[quote author=capybara link=board=13;threadid=3919;start=0#39265 date=1025057558]
    way to go! i took unix last term, it was also based on
    a solaris8 machine, but was broad enuf to point out
    the differences in the diffferent shells (not much for most things).
    [/quote]
    Yeah, the shell is quite different. Luckily, we have to option of running bash on top of that shell (in essence, a shell for a shell ). We also have to program in either Emacs or Vi. I'm a Vim person myself and I was glad to find that they also use the Vim clone of Vi on their machines.

They also have NEdit, but I can't figure out how to get it running on CDE machines. Is CDE running on top of an X server like all Linux WMs and DEs? I can't imagine CDE is running Xfree86, but I would think most X servers would be compatible (more or less).

[quote author=t048 link=board=13;threadid=3919;start=0#39150 date=1024972406]
    I imagine Java has its uses, but I can't really figure out what those uses are.
    [/quote]
    LOL.
    Tell that to the people at Oracle and IBM, because if you dont know, most of the Oracle development is made in Java and the same goes to most of the IBM aplications.

[quote author=Gaenya link=board=13;threadid=3919;start=0#39412 date=1025201053]
    LOL.
    Tell that to the people at Oracle and IBM, because if you dont know, most of the Oracle development is made in Java and the same goes to most of the IBM aplications.
    [/quote]

Really? How do they get their progs to run at decent speeds? And how do they adjust for the quirky GUI? They must use it for client side web page apps.

[quote author=t048 link=board=13;threadid=3919;start=0#39454 date=1025234359]
    [quote author=Gaenya link=board=13;threadid=3919;start=0#39412 date=1025201053]
    LOL.
    [/quote]

Really? How do they get their progs to run at decent speeds? And how do they adjust for the quirky GUI? They must use it for client side web page apps.
    [/quote]

Ok i dont know how they do it, this is what they do:
    IBM has its app server based in tomcat (Apache with jsp, and javabeans),DB2 development is Java based, most of the development for theyre programs is made in java (i know it because the company i work for its making an outsourcing deal with IBM).

And Oracle's DB development (store procedures, triggers, etc.) its made in Java.

Edit:
    Check theyre Mission:
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/aboutdw/?loc=j

[quote author=Gaenya link=board=13;threadid=3919;start=0#39553 date=1025273529]
    Ok i dont know how they do it, this is what they do:
    IBM has its app server based in tomcat (Apache with jsp, and javabeans),DB2 development is Java based, most of the development for theyre programs is made in java (i know it because the company i work for its making an outsourcing deal with IBM).

And Oracle's DB development (store procedures, triggers, etc.) its made in Java.

Edit:
    Check theyre Mission:
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/aboutdw/?loc=j
    [/quote]

That is cool. I didn't know Java has any practical uses. Thanks for the link.

n/p i like java a lot and i thing is very usefull and better than its .NET counterparts