Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Linux Community 31137IZ7?

Re:Is the Linux Community 31137IZ7?

[quote author=coltrane link=board=13;threadid=3918;start=0#39170 date=1024988556]

Unfortunately, in a basket of red apples you normally see the green ones first. So therefore you have your Slashdotters, your LNOs, and your Feztaas.

disclaimer: Not all Slashdotters, LNOs are like that. :P
    [/quote]

why bash Feztaa? hes smart, he knows it, and so do we. hes not afraid to give good advice, and if you get advice from him, you know its worth taking.
    >>>>> as for RTFM, thats not a bad idea! i mean, why, is it better for
    me to ask for advice about a command when i can just go man command?
    yeah, sometimes theres no man pages for something, but its a good habit
    to get everybody into checking there first., then ask for advice next. i can ask you to gimme a line of code, or i can learn to code!
    >>>>>and besides LJR, another good example of linux community
    is the LUGs (linux users groups). ever been to an install fest?
    lots of fun , learn something, share knowledge and distros,
    meet the other penguins, a real community! check it out.

why bash Feztaa? hes smart, he knows it, and so do we. hes not afraid to give good advice, and if you get advice from him, you know its worth taking.
    My Feztaa comments were made in jest. Fez has helped me out a couple of times. He IS secretary of intelligence after all.
    So I dont actually "bash" Feztaa, I kind of just "korn" him.

I also "korn" LC (and Ralinx when he was here).
    And Digital Froggy.
    And Ashcrow (dont ever call him Ashcroft).

Just like they give me "korn" about SuSe.

THE GREATEST DISTRO IN THE WORLD!

[quote author=coltrane link=board=13;threadid=3918;start=0#39170 date=1024988556]

disclaimer: Not all Slashdotters, LNOs are like that. :P

[/quote]

I was about to get angry, but this line kept me from it.

I'm new to this site, but I've been at LNO for about a year and a half. I feel that the number of genuinely great people there vastly outnumber the number of primadonnas or 1337157 type folks on the site.

FWIW, I've only seen people revert to RTFM and other 1337-ish stuff out of frustration-- some people just don't understand that a "check Google" or a RTFM may actually be the best and most enriching answer that can be given.

I've just noticed that the individuals involved in the recent increase of linuxnewbies haven't really cared to really learn to do things the "hard" way, editing config files and the like. A lot of them even only have Windows XP to use as a comparison point, so they have no idea how to use the command line-- they'd even be lost if you told them to open the file in Kwrite or gedit!

But, I'm looking at it from the inside-- do you guys really think that LNO is elitist? I know that the /. site has a bunch of people there whose only intent is to flame people regardless of how good of an article they write, but I'e always perceived a decent dialog about topics posted at LNO...

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=13;threadid=3918;start=0#39141 date=1024969697]
    i think sadly yes. my idea from the linux community is that most users are wanna be hardcore hackers .....[/quote]
    >>>>>HMMMM....hmmmmm......that describes me alright

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=13;threadid=3918;start=0#39141 date=1024969697]
    my idea from the linux community is that most users are wanna be hardcore hackers who live by the motto rtfm and say it so much that its lost meaning.
    [/quote]

Very true. Some of us are hardcore hackers, some of us are hardcore users, and some of us are hardcore but the least the community can do is try to help and offer help, constructive crtisism, and support for new users and new software/articles/whatever. I always feel bad for authors when the first post on their new software/stuff is 'It sucks! rant rant rant' since the person put time into it. Even if it does suck it's free!