Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

BSD for a Linux user...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSD for a Linux user...

BSD for a Linux user...

Okay, I have been thinking about testing the water with the BSD's for some time now, but I have never actually got around to it.

I have used the vast majority of the more popular Linux distros (RH, Mandy, Slackware, Debian, Knoppix, SuSE etc..) and have a pretty good working knowledge of how Linux works, so what would be the best of the BSD's for me to start with, and is there much difference between them?

I know that in the Linux circle, we have Mandy, RH, Fedora aimed at those that are wanting a nice simple desktop environment comparable to Windows, and Slack and Debian for the more hacker-esq of us. What has BSD got to offer??

I feel like Im a newbie all-over again!! ops:

Cheers, Jamie

FreeBSD, you should bother yourself with the other two for now, they are more for specialty purposes like routers firewalls, embedded systems, FreeBSD is most used, has the better ports system, is more suited for desktop/workstation use

Thanks.

I will try and get hold of a copy and have a play aroudnw with it.

Is the installation anything like a linux install, or wil I have to re-learn eeverything?

Jamie

get ready to relearn.

their partitioning is total wack...

nahh its just a lil different, the UFS (unix file system) uses slices(partitions) thats normal to linux users, but how the slice is used is not, the next step is labeling sections of the slice which is what you consider partitioning in linux, so to install a BSD you need to create a slice first, usually the whole disk, then you create labels inside the slice for say / and /usr /var, though if your just going to be using this as a desktop, you can skip on the unnecesarry extra partitions and just use / and swap, so to put it in laymans, you run fdisk twice

Doesn't sound to bad. Are there any advantages to doing that? Or is it just to be awkward?

What are the installations like? Graphical, semi-graphical, command line?

Is it comparable to a Slackware installer? - I have heard that it is.

Jamie

sysinstall is curses based, its menu driven and contains full documentation, its very similar to slack or debian install, the biggest thing that will throw you is the partitioning which i explained earlier

if you run into trouble just post, we will get it fixed

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    if you run into trouble just post, we will get it fixed
    Excellent - thanks!

Well this time tomorrow I will be FREE so I will try it then!

Well kind-of - my dissertation is (ment) to be in by 12 midday tomorrow - well in 15 hours and I have only just started working on it!

Im well prepared though - plenty of coffee and cola to get me through the night. It's not like you need sleep... is it?!

Jamie

sleep? whats that?

~BTW:

I forgot to ask before:

What's BSD's support like for laptops?

I haven't had any major problems with Slackware (all worked first time - pcmcia nic, sound - sound didn't even work on my desktop first time around with Slack), Debian needed a little encouragement, and gentoo wouldn't recognise my NIC so I coulnd't even get the install going

Dell CPx 500 - just incase you need to know.

Cheers,
    Jamie