Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

PHP in shell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHP in shell

PHP in shell

Hi
    I can program (not very well) in PHP and no nothing about BASH/Shell, is it possible to write PHP scripts for bash, e.g. making a firewall?

thanks

Re:PHP in shell

yes, lemme find out how
    There's a switch for it

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/php -q
    <?php
    And that will suppress http header information.
    Though Im not sure Id recommend it as the first language to use for scripting.

To each his own of course, do that which makes you comfortable, but personally Id start with PERL.

$0.02

thanks
    Ive looked at perl, it just dont seem right, and PHP is simple. I think

Are you trying to make a firewall configuration tool or an actual firewall? If you just want to write a firewall, script it. Its very simple. If you are trying to make a configuration tool that takes input from the shell (like pmfirewall), I don't think PHP is the right tool for the job. I'd have to say I'd go with something like perl or bash.

Hi
    Im more looking to write a script that loads information from txt files e.g. blocked IP's, FOrwarded Ports, etc...
    And i dotn really know much bout bash

you don't really have to know any bash at all (or very very little). Just look at some example scripts to get the iptables syntax down, write your rules into a text file and make it executable. Doing this in PHP would just cause you extra, unneeded work and confusion.

[quote author=tolstoy link=board=9;threadid=3905;start=0#39287 date=1025070440]
    you don't really have to know any bash at all (or very very little). Just look at some example scripts to get the iptables syntax down, write your rules into a text file and make it executable. Doing this in PHP would just cause you extra, unneeded work and confusion.
    [/quote]

Well... What I was more thinking of is writing a script in PHP that basically creates a Firewall... BUT! instead of writing
    Code:
    iptables bla bla bla
    to block a single ip address, it reads a text file with IP addresses in it and creates the script on the fly ah, im crap in english, if you dont understand, you will when i post the script as my project at sourceforge, you will realise that it is a brilliant idea, the queen will read it, the preisdent of the US will read it, see it as a brilliant idea and give me complete power over their country! MaWaHaHaHaaa! </mindless endless pointless nonsense rant>
    Felt good to get that off my chest

Wheres a Feztaa comment when you need it ?
    ;D

Well, reading stuff from a file and using it to generate stuff automatically is pretty easy in perl. I use perl to generate my .muttrc every time mutt loads... perl reads a file to figure out who I should be gpg-signing my messages to, among other things. This really sounds like something that would be easy to do in perl

Don't write too many iptables rules, though. If you have too many, it gets SLOOOOOWWWW.