Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Why linux? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why linux?

I started using Linux because I'm studying Physics, and there are a good many open libraries that allow efficient scientific programming. Then, once I started to really understand Linux, I was flabbergasted by the fact that I can so completely customize Linux to be exactly what I need. Now, I have a desktop, laptop, and server all running different Linux distributions.

I also tried FreeBSD for my server, but I ended up switching back to Debian for it, as Debian is quite easy to set up in a server environment, and even easier to update. I use Gentoo for my desktop box, as it allows me to compile all of my software optimized for my architecture. I use Slackware on my laptop, as it's the best, simplest distro, in my opinion.

I still have Windows on my desktop box, as I have some games that just don't run under Linux. However, I do just about everything else under Linux.

Associate
    @ janne_oksanen
    Copper and tubes are out. It smells to much from it and it's to easy to discover...
    We've gone over to use plastic cans and aquarium heaters.. no more 90+% alcohol, but good vodka around 43% instead. And best of all, it's no danger for it to explode.
    In a world without barriers and fences, who wants Windows and Gates?

Ah, I love how all discussions of Linux invariably end up becoming discussions about booze before too long. 8)

I started using Linux because I *wanted* to. The idea of Linux was so appealing: here's a home-made OS people have created because they _wanted_ to that outdoes the (faulty, crash-prone) commercial alternatives. Like janne_oksanen, I hadn't even heard of BSD. Also, I'm a liberal arts kid who ended up in IT by accident, so at the time I was just working with what I'd heard about Linux rather than having any hard knowledge.

What's great is that with the advent of things like OpenOffice 1.x, Mozilla Firefox, and KDE 3.x, my Linux desktop system is just flat-out *better* than the Windows desktop system I have to run at work. It's faster, it looks better, and I have a lot more control.

Nudge

I _REALLY_ liked the idea of getting into the guts of my computer and being able to tweak everything. I think it was alot of the tinkerer in me, I love to just mess with things, and with *other OSs there was extremely limited tinkering to be done. I am not like alot of other computer users, I don't want things to always 'just work' I enjoy the adversity.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor
    Linux, WTF is a Linux?

I have to use Linux or I will lose my position as a Sub-Assistant-Junior-Link Wranglerę Trainee on da f00.

and/or its the community/OSS/EFF thing. and/or it might be that I am so anti-corporation that it was a small step for my personal salvation.

Then again it could be because I like to suffer alot.

Advisor
    i'd prefer not to say why i started using linux... it's embarrassing...
    oh well.

I was 15 in 97 and wanted to be a "1337 h4x0r" and i read that all the "real hackers" use Unix, but the link was to Linux... not Unix [shows how intelligent "h4x0rs" really are huh?]

so i installed it, once i learned C well enough to actually do anything i realized that being a "1337 h4x0r" was akin to being a turd. So alas... I'm not [thank god].

Why have I stuck with linux?
    eh... because out of the various forms of unix i have used, i like linux the best [at least for a desktop]. And I'm simply out-of-place on a non-unix platform... too lazy to learn.

I just like penguins biatch!

Re: Why linux?

for me it was i wanted to learn as much as i can on computers

my dad and i were having a talk about windows, and he mentioned UNIX and linux,, i was 12 at the time and i had just got a old p1 133 mhz computer so i got debian installed and played around didnt know about the packaging system so dropped it after a few months when i was 15 and i was really into computers and knew that was where i was going, i got linux again started with mandrake but i wanted some gritter so i kept on try the tougher more configurable distros, needles to say i almost ruined a couple of computers along the way,

But mostly i dont want to know a little about computers i want to know something about every aspects of computer, it was at first to be prepared for when i go job hunting, but now i use linux for everything cept for gaming and i love it
    and plus the penguin rules as a mascot, which will cause some weird looks my way every now and then for my penguin stuff

Advisor
    oh yea, the programming tools kick the living shit out their counterpart standards on 'doze [ie... VS]