Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why linux?

Why linux?

So then, we all use linux, at least some of the time, others nothing-but, but why? What brought you to linux and has kept you here? Why not Mac OSX, or some other distro?

Just to make this very clear, I am not trying to start any kind of flame war, this is not a Linux is better than .... distro, but why you started using Linux, and more importantly why you have kept with it?

I came accross Linux by acident; but once I had used it nad got over the alien nature of the OS (coming from Win 98) I really loved the potential of it. I mean if I had been running Windows all this time, I wouldn't be sat here with a webserver, home mode router, and excellent web-development tools.

I suppose the question is nore like; was it the actual software quality, turnover and choice, or the open philosophy that brought you into Linux. I know a lot of Linux users that know very little about the entire movemenr behinde 'free software' and the GPL-type-idealism of the whole thing.

Enough of my ranting - I should really stop using the computer after I have come in from the pub!!

Jamie

i jumped ship from the BSD camp to see what all the fuss was about with linux, ran it for a few months as my main OS, then when running back to BSD, i keep in touch with linux though as my backup OS :P

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    i jumped ship from the BSD camp to see what all the fuss was about with linux, ran it for a few months as my main OS, then when running back to BSD, i keep in touch with linux though as my backup OS :P
    Sorry - there's me leaving out you BSD users again.

I will promise to try harder in the future! :shock:

I suppose the question is nore like; was it the actual software quality, turnover and choice, or the open philosophy that brought you into Linux. I know a lot of Linux users that know very little about the entire movemenr behinde 'free software' and the GPL-type-idealism of the whole thing.
    Well, the thing was I was getting a free old computer to play around with. I thought I would spned all my money on upgrading the hardware instead of paying Micrsoft for software. So basically I choose Linux because I was poor and Linux was free. Before dkeav points out the FreeBSD is free too I will say that I had not even heard of BSD untill later when a unix guru at my shool told me he's running it instead of Linux.

Don't get me wrong though, I hated M$ with my every cell even before I went to Linux and since then I have read some books about the history and ideals of Open Source Movement. My first big step was when I realized for myself that Linux actually is superior to Windows and second when I noticed first hand how much faster OSS is being developed. Third step was embrazing the freedom of OSS and it's ideals.

Just my two cents

I got into it because I've always been interesting in running `alternative' operating systems, and when Redhat 6.0 came my way on a covermount of a magazine in 1999, I tried it out on the PC I'd reluctantly accepted as my main machine a few years prior.

While I haven't had time to experiment with many operating systems lately, I did manage to finally give BeOS a whirl at some point within the last 9 months (I forget when). Unfortunately, running it on my laptop didn't last long, because it had no ACPI power management support, so my laptop would have probably burnt out after a while of using it

Associate

Long history....

it all started when my Amiga 4000/040 litterally burned out it's cpu.
    I couldn't afford a new cpu so i bought a P1-90 and sat there with Win-3.11 and was really bored. So along came Slackware 3.0.. Then a short trip inside win95 and os/2 and back to Slackware... *spools time forward* Ended up with dualboot of Redhat 5.0 and win98.. then tried a lot of different distros until i ended up on Debian.

The reasonfor me to choose linux is wuite simple. I want to know what's happening inside my pc and i want to know about the hardware.
    Just take a lok at the old books that came with the Amiga 500 gfor instance.. Where else can you actually look at the manual and see exactly how the motherboard is built up and what the different chips do and so on?
    In a world without barriers and fences, who wants Windows and Gates?

Heheheh The price is right eh fellas?

darn tootin, beer costs money, i mean come on what was bill gates thinking!! :P

Associate
    Probably not about beer prices....
    *sighs*
    Maybe he did some consulting with the norwegian government?
    Beer is FAR to expensive.

Here in Norway yhe shops ain't allowed to sell beer for less than 1 Euro/US$

Now, that's what i call dictatorship....
    In a world without barriers and fences, who wants Windows and Gates?

Here in Norway yhe shops ain't allowed to sell beer for less than 1 Euro/US$
    Then I guess you have to find comfort in your oil and copper resources. We just have cheap beer and a kick-butt ice hockey team :P