Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Request For Comments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request For Comments

Request For Comments

I know a lot of people who belong to my site are also members here, and I've always had a good relationship with cloverm and this site, so I'm requesting comments in response to the topic here

Thanks a million.
    /njcajun

Re:Request For Comments

hi ncajun,
    You site is cool, in fact it is quite good - i like the web links section and the write up on kick start for red hat is the best i have seen.

the reason i don't go there often is because not many other people go there. i know it is a catch22...

i am pretty much occupied with this site, techimo (which has real newbies, plus a few other very good linux users) and a few times a week linuxquestions. all the other sites are good too, linuxorbit has the best news, gonzo john stays on top of things like i can not believe. linuxquestions has done a very impressive job of building membership and seems aimed at newbies and not-so newbies.

Ideally i would like to see some of these sites merge so i don't need to visit several sites to be somewhat useful, i would not like to see LL go away, because it does have useful info.

for me it is all about being helpful, i try to put my energies where i can be helpful, i am not a expert user, but i am not bad with linux either - and that puts me in a positition where i can help people who are newer to linux...

i am not sure if i have been helpful at all...

1. im sorry, i never heard of your site. might that be part of the
    problem? i mean i cant go there if i dont know about it.
    have you tried any advice about getting a page 1 listing at
    www.google.com/linux
    2. minimizing costs is part of the solution. you mention it costs money
    to run a site. well dont have it hosted. if youve got apache running on your own home machine, cost = $ 0.00. i mean, youve got 214 members, and 90% of the bitstream is from 3 members. how much bandwidth can that require? your home dsl or cable modem will be fine. and use a router, it
    stays online and holds its url 24/7 making dhcp irrelevant.
    3. consider the career advantages of putting on your resume, founder
    of LLO. thats a big + when looking for work.

id just like to say i like the top grey/blackmiddle bars on top of each side table, i used the graphic for my page (which sadly doesnt have a webhost cuz they all go bankrupt and gotta move off their colocation) maybe i should start paying for webhosting instead of getting it free haha. anywho hope you dont mind

Actually, there's no relation. Looks like they may also be using PostNuke, albeit an even more hacked version than Linuxlaboratory. BTW - that's a pretty cool site! I'm bookmarking that one.

[quote author=capybara link=board=13;threadid=3896;start=0#39045 date=1024865760]
    1. im sorry, i never heard of your site. might that be part of the
    problem? i mean i cant go there if i dont know about it.
    have you tried any advice about getting a page 1 listing at
    www.google.com/linux
    [/quote]

...umm.... I'm on the front page of THIS site! I have to admit that this is a good point, nonetheless - I don't do a lot of promotion I guess. To tell the truth, I have no idea how to get on the Google Linux page, which is strange because a lot of searches on the normal google put me on the front page, but on the Linux/Google site I'm almost never on the front page. W'sup with that?

I should look more into how to promote the site. I'm not sure how exactly to do this for free ;-)

Thanks for the tip

To tell the truth, I have no idea how to get on the Google Linux page, which is strange because a lot of searches on the normal google put me on the front page, but on the Linux/Google site I'm almost never on the front page. W'sup with that?

I should look more into how to promote the site. I'm not sure how exactly to do this for free ;-)

Thanks for the tip
    well, i just went to regular google, entered linux in the search box, and your not on pages 1 or 2 or 3. ive seen articles with suggestions
    "how to get a page 1 google listing". you might wanna
    find one of those articles.

Mentor

Did'nt you say that the site was going to be geared AWAY from the newbie and focus on more technicly advanced issues or something like that?

Maybe thats why people on ljr and lno shy'd away from your site. :-\

Dude, if you can manage it, hang in there. Not everyone can be like LNO and explode with great traffic right out of the box. Believe it or not, I started Linux Orbit before LNO by about 2 months. For a long time, I maintained it as a side project of my consulting business. Only in the last year have I seen an increase in traffic that gives me confidence it can turn into an actual business.

As for LLO, you've got a great oncept, a decently marketable URL (better than mine) and if you stick it out, I think you'll see it grow over time.

A quick note: not matter what content you create, even the link you posted at the beginning of this thread, SUBMIT IT EVERYWHERE. Linux Today, LWN, Newsforge, Linux Journal, Slashdot, etc. It doesn't take very long and the rewards are very high.

I hope for the sake of the Linux community you hang tough and I certainly wish you the best of luck.