Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RedHat - The Next MIcrosoft??

RedHat - The Next MIcrosoft??

>>>see it here! <<<

my take on it - this person is attemtping to fragment the Linux community.

FUD!

Kind Mastermind

Re:RedHat - The Next MIcrosoft??

[quote author=pbharris link=board=13;threadid=3895;start=0#38973 date=1024802226]
    >>>see it here! <<<

my take on it - this person is attemtping to fragment the Linux community.

FUD!
    [/quote]

It's zdnet, for pete's sake. They are way too M$ happy, imho. Anyway, good food for thought.

ZDNet isn't always so MS happy, it depends on the reporter ... but in general most of their reporters and writers do lean towards MS is darwin attituteds.

Red Hat isn't the next MS by a long shot .... but Ransom Love, I hope your reading this, because I predict you to be thought of as the next Bill Gates but without all the money .... you bastard! >

Sounds like pure speculative crap to me. I'm no RedHat lover, but I don't think they've got a cabal of executives that make sharks look like pussycats like MicroSoft

People have been referring to RedHat as the MS of Linux since I started using Mandy back in 2000. While recently I have read that Sun and RedHat are not "bosom buddies" right now, I see no reason to label RH the "next Microsoft".

Plus SUSE is a far better distro anyway. :O)

RH is in no way the next M$ (or at least in the way we think of M$). It seems to me that people think of Linux in the way that they think of underground bands. Way back when the Chilli Peppers hit the scene in the 80s, they were the coolest balls-out mother f*cking band around. Then when they started making money, selling out areans and becomeing popular outside the punk/ska scene--they magically became sell outs, even though their music always got better.

I think anytime RH starts to become successful and gets recognition outside the die hard Linux community, people start to think of them as being like M$. Just because RH is gaining decent vendor support does not mean they resorted to M$-like tactics to get it. I think people are migrating to linux because they finally have a clue on how computers should work for their company (I stress the word "work" here). I think vendors are moving towards it because its a quality product, not because they have $$$ to bully their way to the market space. I think people move to Red Hat because it has done a great job of making itself visible outside the Linux community.

All this article tells me is that RH has done a decent job at marketing their product, and their work has paid off.

Holy cow, read the Pro M$ comments following that article. Wow, I've never before seen such blind, angry zealotry.

RH is in no way the next M$ (or at least in the way we think of M$). It seems to me that people think of Linux in the way that they think of underground bands. Way back when the Chilli Peppers hit the scene in the 80s, they were the coolest balls-out mother f*cking band around. Then when they started making money, selling out areans and becomeing popular outside the punk/ska scene--they magically became sell outs, even though their music always got better.

I think anytime RH starts to become successful and gets recognition outside the die hard Linux community, people start to think of them as being like M$. Just because RH is gaining decent vendor support does not mean they resorted to M$-like tactics to get it. I think people are migrating to linux because they finally have a clue on how computers should work for their company (I stress the word "work" here). I think vendors are moving towards it because its a quality product, not because they have $$$ to bully their way to the market space. I think people move to Red Hat because it has done a great job of making itself visible outside the Linux community.

All this article tells me is that RH has done a decent job at marketing their product, and their work has paid off.
    tolstoy, your analogy is awesome and I agree with you 100%

Mentor

IMHO, i belive someone ( Red hat , Slackware, Mandrake ...) has to step up and declair themslevs the defacto standard and start pushing it or else it's going to be nothing but distro wars in the underground community.

Now i'm not saying they need to be like MS but i feel SOMEONE needs to stand up and say "I am THE Linux distro everyone should follow"

whoa, that's what we have the Linux Standard Base for right?