Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

GUI partitioning tool, or partition tool with GUI addon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GUI partitioning tool, or partition tool with GUI addon

GUI partitioning tool, or partition tool with GUI addon

I need a partitioning tool and preferably one that has a GUI and is non-destructive.

Or how would I create a new partition out of an old Win partition atm I've got all my linux on one drive but I could just reformat a Win partition to xfs or ext2 and mount it in linux but I'd need a lable for it outside hdaX.

Advisor

Re:GUI partitioning tool, or partition tool with GUI addon

cfdisk

Good Guru

GUI and partition managment is evil mix ... cfdisk would be a good choice and as far as GUI goes ... I wouldn't like beyond that ( hint: partition magic - evil tool ). Some had successfully used it ( PM ) and have no problem but as far as my experience goes, nothing but trouble.

I think I tried cfdisk once and it didn't like me, PM 7 has worked great for me for everything except iirc it doesn't have XFS (which is what I'm currently running) and wouldn't know what to rename another linux partition since each one needs a name and would be be ext2.

Good Guru

Have you tried regular fdisk? It is ver functional, more flexible than the POS MS-FDISK and doesnt do anything until you actually write to disk. I personally have to agree with compunuts, that most GUI tools are not a very good idea to use. And try to go ext3 instead of ext2, if you can ;D

If I had my way I'd go XFS, I tried EXT3 once during one of my first Gentoo installs and didn't like the way it went at all.

My other question has to do with just reformatting, but what would I do to add a second partition that's linux rather than merging it with my current partition?

Here's what I do:

Boot Mandrake install cd.
    Partition using diskdrake.
    reboot
    Install Gentoo.

Mentor

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=3834;start=0#38643 date=1024519434]
    Here's what I do:

Boot Mandrake install cd.
    Partition using diskdrake.
    reboot
    Install Gentoo.

[/quote]

I can't tell you how many times i have done the samething, all except for the Gentoo part.

That would be one of the better ways to go but I don't want to have to reinstall Gentoo. It took me long enough to get it where it is now and it's not exactly Debian where I can have a working system in under an hour.

Good Guru

But DiskDrake (DiskDruid for that matter) wont touch what you dont want it to. Dont let it format the drive and dont change the partion table other than what the FAT entries are. The other partitions will be preserved.

For example we have /dev/hda with hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 all as the partitions.

1=Boot
    2=/
    3=/home
    4=Windows 2K

We can vape the hda4 partition out chunk it up a few times and
    format them up the way you want. hda1-3 are left alone this way. Then If you decided that you want to make a separate /var partiton, you can boot to linux copy it over to the drive and be done (after modifying the /etc/fstab of course)