Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking???

Overclocking???

I was just curoius to see how many LJR people overclock their systems. I do not but am looking into doing it.

How about specs on default speed, current speed, and what you did to get it that speed.

Re:Overclocking???

Athlon Thunderbird 1333@1155 (fsb overclocked, but unable to go 266 because of motherboard.)

Accidently chipped the core when attaching the heatsink, damn this TS crap...

Use to have:
    Duron 700@800.

I used to run a duron 700@933 but now I run it at stock speed. I had some stability problems and the cpu fan I had to use made too much noise.

All I did was to strap on a 7000rpm fan on the cpu (well, on the heatsink) and increase the fsb to 133.

Kind Mastermind

I would attempt overclocking, but even my grandmother would laugh at me, since I use a Cyrix MII/333! When I actually get around to convincing my wife that a new computer for me is a good idea, I plan on buying good overclockable components. That way, should I get the itch, I can mess around with overclocking.

I overclocked a clock once. It was pretty funny. There's this analogue clock in the hallway at my school, and I turned it upside down. In doing so, I must have crossed some wires or something, because the minute hand started to spin 60 times faster (it was in unison with the second hand). I didn't watch it long enough to see if the hour hand had also sped up accordingly, but it was pretty funny nonetheless

I have an AMD T-bird 1.33ghz that I'm going to overclock. I just need to order the unlocking kit. I could always just pencil in the L1 bridges but the pencil wears off. :-\

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=14;threadid=3731;start=0#37710 date=1023834948]
    I have an AMD T-bird 1.33ghz that I'm going to overclock. I just need to order the unlocking kit. I could always just pencil in the L1 bridges but the pencil wears off. :-\
    [/quote]

That's bull, my Duron has been running over a year using the pencil trick, and no a problems.. It's complete and utter bull.

Mentor

Is it hard to overclock an 850 Athlon? Would I need a bigger fan? Would I notice any great increase? Just wondering.

[quote author=CP link=board=14;threadid=3731;start=0#37795 date=1023883687]
    Is it hard to overclock an 850 Athlon? Would I need a bigger fan? Would I notice any great increase? Just wondering.
    [/quote]

That depends on a lot of factors.

First of all, which type of athlon are we talking about, stepping, etc. so chips made in a good week can go uptill 2x the normal clockspeed using a stock fan - others can only go up a few procent using watercooling and shit.

Email me your complete system specs and I'll work out a way to overclock your system.I need to know which motherboard you have, pref. also the brand of ram you're using.

But general rules apply - using a stock fan don't bump the core voltage more than 5-10%, don't clock more than 10-20% over specs, use thermal grease and apply it correctly.
    Remember Linux is far more touchy when it comes to clocked chips than Winblows is.

Overclocking isn't very smart. You take a big risk for a little gain. You may be running 80 fps instead of 70 in your favorite game (anything over 60 is beyond the human eye's ability to see anyway), but you won't be running jack shit when the proc overheats. Plus if a fan went out, you'd have a few seconds to shut down the computer instead of several minutes, possibly forever with low activity. And these people that use water cooling are worse. They spend more on the coolers than a faster processor would cost, and it still isn't as good. If you're doing it for the glory, and you have enough money that buying a new processor is chump change, then go for it. Otherwise, you might as well be taking the air box off your car for more power.