Thread: Sun mulls buying Novell

Mentor

Sun mulls buying Novell

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5292579.html

I don't think I would be happy to see this. Killing competition the Microsoft way.

Re:Sun mulls buying Novell

no no no... this is bad..

Sun has run their business into the ground, no need for them to take Novell with them, especially now that Novell have become a good FOSS citizen.

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=9618;start=0#msg87508 date=1091477730]
    no no no... this is bad..

Sun has run their business into the ground, no need for them to take Novell with them, especially now that Novell have become a good FOSS citizen.
    [/quote]

Actually this about all that could save Sun. Novell is finally in a position to regain its Godness. Sun has cash but no viable business really. IBM is cheaper to get proprietary hardware and you get just as great support. If Sun acquires Novell, they could take their tech support, great networking setup for Solaris, merge it to SuSE, drop Ximian on their desktop, and now have the best OS, best desktop, an unqualified best OS, and the best support. I cant see anything better there. That is of course dependent on Sun ditching SPARC for either Intel or AMD.

Good Guru

I should get this posted as news, but I gotta dig up my password.

Here

Not fifteen minutes after I say Sun needs to seriously ditch SPARC, well the ONE, and I mean ONE, product that they have that is just Saintly -- SunRay, is now for x86 for Red Hat and SuSE. Maybe they are getting their heads out of their ass....

Didn't Sun commit to using Opteron in some of the servers?

I think they are preparing to dump Sparc, it's simply to expensive to develop and maintain a seperate architeture for them..

Good Guru

Not just for them, for me and all other prospective customers. I cant see how spending over a million on a setup of Sun equipment when <200K for equal or better performance on non SPARC, equally well supported Intel/AMD/IBM PPC can do the job.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=9618;start=0#msg87524 date=1091493858]
    Not just for them, for me and all other prospective customers. I cant see how spending over a million on a setup of Sun equipment when <200K for equal or better performance on non SPARC, equally well supported Intel/AMD/IBM PPC can do the job.

[/quote]

I agree, the company my dad works for used to be big sun supporters, Workstations, servers, everything was on solaris - the later years they have moved to plain home built x86 machines and Windows - some developers using Linux as well. And there are some Mac OS X powered machines as well..

But I must admit when I tried one of those 64 CPU Ultra Sparc servers I nearly came.. those are just blazing fast... but expensive.