Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Patch question (beware: newbie ignorance!)

Thread: Patch question (beware: newbie ignorance!)

Patch question (beware: newbie ignorance!)

Arggh!

I've been searching the net, trying to find the latest patch to the kernel, and I'm a litlte confused ... I checked out www.kernel.org, and they list alot of versions that are beta, pre-patch, blah-blah ... that confuse this young grasshopper

So, the question is: I have kernel version 2.4.18-3 .... now, what is the latest patch(s) to this that are stable?

The reason I ask is not becuz I believe i need the latest patch, but becuz i want to get practice installing one when the time comes when I actually need to know how ;D Gotta teach myself Linux somehow!

Good Guru

Re:Patch question (beware: newbie ignorance!)

The pre1 pre2 pre3 ... are all pre-stable-release versions of 2.4.19. Personally, I would avoid them, unless you dont mind having a potentially unstable system. However the biggest number pre (I think 10 is the latest as of now, dont recall) is the latest patch. Plus looking at the dates helps a bit too

[quote author=Schotty link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#37922 date=1023987100]
    The pre1 pre2 pre3 ... are all pre-stable-release versions of 2.4.19. Personally, I would avoid them, unless you dont mind having a potentially unstable system. However the biggest number pre (I think 10 is the latest as of now, dont recall) is the latest patch. Plus looking at the dates helps a bit too
    [/quote]

I believe I saw on other posts that there's a 2.4.18-4 kernel version out there ... is that a 'pre', or is it a stable release??

Thanks again, and I believe I saw " pre's " up to 2.5.xx

[quote author=bafalouk link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#37928 date=1023991507]

I believe I saw on other posts that there's a 2.4.18-4 kernel version out there ... is that a 'pre', or is it a stable release??

[/quote]

the pre (development) series of kernels really isn't good for production/regular use. It moves VERY fast (I remember it went from 2.5.6 to 2.5.20 in less than 2 weeks!

I'm thinking I may start a fresh install of Slackware 8.1rc1 to check out the 2.5 series, though...

Good Guru

[quote author=alc6379 link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#38444 date=1024340889]
    [quote author=bafalouk link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#37928 date=1023991507]

[/quote]

the pre (development) series of kernels really isn't good for production/regular use. It moves VERY fast (I remember it went from 2.5.6 to 2.5.20 in less than 2 weeks!

I'm thinking I may start a fresh install of Slackware 8.1rc1 to check out the 2.5 series, though...
    [/quote]

Sit tight, the 2.6 isn't that far away.... ;D

And the 2.4.18-4 is a stable release.

I can't wait for that-- do you know if they are going to include XFS support in it? I think it would be awesome to use some of the low-latency stuff the 2.5 series of kernels has, but still be able to use XFS on my system..

If not, one can hope SGI produces XFS patches for the 2.6 tree, can't we?

First off, thx for the replies everyone ... its actually a relieve to be able to ask a question that you know is very simple to any regular Linux user and not be thrashed

Now, one last 'simple' question, I've been looking around www.kernel.org, and see that there is only one 'patch' for the 2.4.18 kernel (in *.gz, *.bz2, and a *.sign forms, dont know what the .sign if for) ... if I have athe 2.4.18-3 kernel (the one that comes with Redhat 7.3), I only need to download the 2.4.18 patch? (and possiblly the *.sign that comes with it?)

Thanks again!