Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: networking question

Mentor

networking question

is it possible to have 1 box connect to 2 different networks AT THE SAME TIME. I have 2 nic cards in the box 1 nic goes to the network in the building ( 10.0.1.12 ) and the other card will be connected to a network of color laser printers in a coppier room. The 2nd nic ( 192.168.0.124 ).

ultimately what i want is for the people on the building network ( 10.0.1.xx ) to be able to print on the color laser printers in the coppier room. I'll have this box share the printer connection so others can print.

what do you guys think ??

can anyone give some advise. You could e-mail or IM on AIM tonight or tomorrow during the day.

Good Guru

Re:networking question

[quote author=boblucci link=board=4;threadid=3745;start=0#37826 date=1023918979]
    is it possible to have 1 box connect to 2 different networks AT THE SAME TIME. I have 2 nic cards in the box 1 nic goes to the network in the building ( 10.0.1.12 ) and the other card will be connected to a network of color laser printers in a coppier room. The 2nd nic ( 192.168.0.124 ).

ultimately what i want is for the people on the building network ( 10.0.1.xx ) to be able to print on the color laser printers in the coppier room. I'll have this box share the printer connection so others can print.

what do you guys think ??

can anyone give some advise. You could e-mail or IM on AIM tonight or tomorrow during the day.
    [/quote]

Most certainly! Just set each NIC appropriately. And make sure that the IP and the netmask are set correct and you should be okay.

Feel free to buzz me if you have any questions/problems.

Mentor

ok, schotty i'll try to message you tommorow ( thursday the 13th ) :-[ i'm sorry to say that it's on a windows 2000 box :-\

Good Guru

It's almost the same as setting up the gateway box. The only difference will be that the network only needed to have IP Forwarding ( not masqarding is necessary ) and you should be fine. The box in the middle with two NIC is called a bridge or brouter ( bridge and router ).

Mentor

ok i have everything working but 1 little problem remains.

There is a box that runs the network of ikon color printers, it has NT on it and i need to have the box on the company network share the printer so that people in the biulding can print on it.

I dont know the admin's password ( this is where my cracking skills come it to effect ) to give guest or anonymous privaliges to print or share or what ever.

Thanks for the help guys !!!!!

I'll let you know how i made out!!

Good Guru

You said that it was an NT rig acting as a print controller for your printers... then at the very worst -- shouldnt CUPS or lpr allow you to send data. However you would normally connect to the NT print lab, should be able to get done under linux/BSD.

Mentor

i'm not using linux it's a 100% ms network :-\

Good Guru

OOh, small print and everything ;D

Well, then there really shouldn't be an issue. Find out what make the rest of the LAN talk to the printer subnet. I highly doubt that if they are running an NT domain, that they would have a separte one for just the printers.

One thing that may help me pin down your problem -- what exactly is your error that you get when trying to setup the printer(s) on your box?

Mentor

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=3745;start=0#37954 date=1024000906]
    OOh, small print and everything ;D

Well, then there really shouldn't be an issue. Find out what make the rest of the LAN talk to the printer subnet. I highly doubt that if they are running an NT domain, that they would have a separte one for just the printers.

One thing that may help me pin down your problem -- what exactly is your error that you get when trying to setup the printer(s) on your box?
    [/quote]

There is no real error i just dont have permissions to share the color printer , once i get into the NT box as admin i'll be in the clear!!!

Good Guru

Oh okay -- jsut walk over to the NT box and hit escape, youll have root access then