Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YES!

Re:YES!

[quote author=LinuzRulz link=board=14;threadid=3742;start=0#37849 date=1023928543]
    Played it. Played football (not soccer) Played baseball (not cricket) and was an amatuer boxer. Now I just prefer to fish with my son and teach him how to use firearms responsibly. He even has his own assault rifle and several hundred rounds of ammo.
    [/quote]

How very interesting.

I'm sure everyone reading a thread about the World Cup find your posts informative and right on topic.

[quote author=ursidae link=board=14;threadid=3742;start=0#37809 date=1023903940]

I love the world cup. Club matches don't interest me much, I don't care which club wins, but nation against nation is damn interesting.
    [/quote]
    You sound like me, I take no notice of football until the world cup or the euro tournament comes around. There's something really interesting about seeing the world's best players come together and play on the same stage. Even if your team doesn't make it, you can still appreciate those magic moments that players of such calibre produce.
    The only thing that sours it for me is the blatent cheating that goes on (especially when it's your own countrymen doing it!). ie all the shirt pulling, diving etc.

Mentor

I want to say that I don't think that England deserved to get through based on previous form. Also if the penalty hadn't been given in the game against Argentina it would have been a draw. Also whats this crap about putting on padding and playing rugby? In American football they put on padding, in rugby they don't. I think that soccer is actually one of the most physical and skillful sports there is. Sure you dan't have huge hits like in rugby and football but there is the constant pushing, shoving and kicking whenever you have the ball. You can't judge a sport unless you have played it. So if you don't like soccer thats fine. Just don't sit there and moan about how crap it is to a bunch of people who know more than you.

[quote author=CP link=board=14;threadid=3742;start=0#37876 date=1023956110]
    I want to say that I don't think that England deserved to get through based on previous form. Also if the penalty hadn't been given in the game against Argentina it would have been a draw. Also whats this crap about putting on padding and playing rugby? In American football they put on padding, in rugby they don't. I think that soccer is actually one of the most physical and skillful sports there is. Sure you dan't have huge hits like in rugby and football but there is the constant pushing, shoving and kicking whenever you have the ball. You can't judge a sport unless you have played it. So if you don't like soccer thats fine. Just don't sit there and moan about how crap it is to a bunch of people who know more than you.
    [/quote]
    I forgive you
    That penalty decision was definitely dodgy.

[quote author=CP link=board=14;threadid=3742;start=0#37876 date=1023956110]
    Also whats this crap about putting on padding and playing rugby? In American football they put on padding, in rugby they don't.
    [/quote]

What I meant was American "Football" = Rugby with paddings

Read the whole thread again.

Mentor

[quote author=ursidae link=board=14;threadid=3742;start=0#37878 date=1023957159]
    What I meant was American "Football" = Rugby with paddings
    [/quote]
    I also forgive you. I was more having a go at the sad little individuals who were abusing Football, and I mean real Football, as in soccer for you silly americans.

[quote author=CP link=board=14;threadid=3742;start=0#37794 date=1023883445]
    I am hanging out for Mexico to beat Italy. That way if Croatia beat Ecuador, which they should they will make it through to the next round and Italy will not. Which would make me happy. [/quote]

Mexico 1: Italy 1 Too bad, so sad

But I think it would be great to see the US play either one of these teams, especially since my boyfriend is Italian.

[quote author=ursidae link=board=14;threadid=3742;start=0#37809 date=1023903940]

And there is really no need to "reclaim" the word football, the americans are wrong and everyone knows it.[/quote]

I believe that the the origin of the word, soccer, is British. :P It was a slang term for association footbal, like rugger was a slang term for rugby football. It must have been imported to the US when it was in popular usage. I guess it just stuck in the US. There are a lot of archaic English words in american english. For example most americans would use the word, fall, over the word autumn.

Actually the world cup holds little to no interest for most Americans. I read the thread to see how long that it would someone to start bashing the US.

It did not UrSidae long to start. That would seem to be xenophobic on her/his part. That is a huge no no for someone that is part of the EU.

I am extremely fascinated with how a great many europeans are so intent on trying to insist that we do things and behave like them. Just accept us the way we are. We do not try to change europeans. The french have a cultural ministry geared towards making sure American culture doesn't "infect" french culture.

I would like to discuss the "anti americanism" that I see in europe.