Thread: Itanium Processors and Mother Boards

Itanium Processors and Mother Boards

Seems like you can only get Itaniums from HP in bundled systems with Red Hat. Anyone seen the beauties by themselves or in processor/mobo bundles?

Re:Itanium Processors and Mother Boards

The ALPHA is not dead yet...

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=3;threadid=3737;start=0#37715 date=1023836764]
    The ALPHA is not dead yet...
    [/quote]

That is true, but the are using alot of ALPHA arch stuff in Itanium.

Kind Mastermind

I wouldn't mind a nice UltraSparc III! After I bought the Alpha, my wife said no more computers for a loooong time. I anticipate building one in a few months . It won't be 64bit, though.

The newest Itanium's don't have a whole lot of Alpha stuff in them yet. I believe the third generation processor will have the bulk of the Alpha technology that Intel plans on using. HP's processor was folded into the Itanium, as well. I read an article recently that said that the Itanium will not be a really viable processor until the next generation comes on line (gen three). Once it gets going, I am sure that the clock speeds will take off rather well.

Overall, if you really want to go the 64bit route, I would wait until the Hammer (or whatever they call it now) chip gets released to market. That way, all you have to do is recompile your favorite programs and they should run just fine. Of course, you don't have to recompile for the x86-64 chips, the programs will just not be optimized. That seems like a safe bet to me. Just my sorry two cents (heck, it's all I could afford ).

Just wondering Styder144, how well does an alpha really preform?

I've heard stories of amazing speed, and I took a look at the design white papers, and they look to have a very intelligent, sane design. So I'm guessing that they just kick so majorly ass.

Oh and while I'm at it, Compaq is supposedly designing a series with alpha cpus for desktop usage - wouldn't that be ultra cool ?

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=3;threadid=3737;start=0#37748 date=1023847951]
    Overall, if you really want to go the 64bit route, I would wait until the Hammer (or whatever they call it now) chip gets released to market. That way, all you have to do is recompile your favorite programs and they should run just fine. Of course, you don't have to recompile for the x86-64 chips, the programs will just not be optimized.[/quote]

You don't have to recompile for the Itaniums either. I have a biased against the Hammer line besides it's puff 80's style pants :P. Why put more into retaining Ia32 when the only company who is pushing for that is Microsoft? Really, I think it is great the Intel decided not to be MS lacky for once and do something that inovates farther instead of staying behind.

Untill the 3rd gen Itaniums are really only for developers it seems (I mean heck look at the prices!).

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=3;threadid=3737;start=0#37788 date=1023873112]
    Just wondering Styder144, how well does an alpha really preform?

I've heard stories of amazing speed, and I took a look at the design white papers, and they look to have a very intelligent, sane design. So I'm guessing that they just kick so majorly ass.

Oh and while I'm at it, Compaq is supposedly designing a series with alpha cpus for desktop usage - wouldn't that be ultra cool ?
    [/quote]

Well, in my informal "feel" test, it feels faster. Of course, all I have to compare is a 233mhz Alpha against a Cyrix MII PR333 (running at 250mhz actual). So, if I could get one of the 833's from Alpha and compare it to an 800-900mhz ix86, then I could really tell ya how they scream.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=3;threadid=3737;start=0#37943 date=1023999198]
    [quote author=stryder144 link=board=3;threadid=3737;start=0#37748 date=1023847951]
    Overall, if you really want to go the 64bit route, I would wait until the Hammer (or whatever they call it now) chip gets released to market. That way, all you have to do is recompile your favorite programs and they should run just fine. Of course, you don't have to recompile for the x86-64 chips, the programs will just not be optimized.[/quote]

You don't have to recompile for the Itaniums either. I have a biased against the Hammer line besides it's puff 80's style pants :P. Why put more into retaining Ia32 when the only company who is pushing for that is Microsoft? Really, I think it is great the Intel decided not to be MS lacky for once and do something that inovates farther instead of staying behind.

Untill the 3rd gen Itaniums are really only for developers it seems (I mean heck look at the prices!).
    [/quote]

Isn't 32 bit code running on an ia64 actually running in emulation mode? I'm a little vague about the ia64's, since I don't really follow the cpu market anymore. Nothing really cool and innovative has appeared in the last year or so. Plus, if I buy a new computer with a new 64 bit cpu, it will probably be UltraSparc III or the upcoming 64 bit PPC chip.

Good Guru

Yes Stryder, IA32 Code is emulated on the intel chips, running on a native portion of the AMD (tw sections an IA32 and 64 part). My money actually is for the new Intel. It has all of the design plusses of the alpha, with some new additions. I havent read up alot on the PPC64, but that sounds good too.