Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countries Who Love Microsoft

Countries Who Love Microsoft

<ripped from igd>

Nations with renewed support for Microsoft

Mexico:

An ambitious government project to build out the country's IT infrastructure and move its 100 million citizens online passed over open source software after Microsoft agreed to pump an estimated $100 million into the effort if the country adopted its software products. Through a series of deals, the software maker is donating training for tens of thousands of teachers, technicians and professionals. The project, dubbed e-Mexico, was first introduced by the government of Vicente Fox shortly after Fox took over the presidency in December of 2000.

Austria:

One of Microsoft's flagship government customers, the Federal Ministry of the Interior in Austria, is the first government body in Europe to become a member of Microsoft's Shared Source Initiative. As part of the program, the Austrian government is allowed access to the Windows XP source code. Program benefits, according to Microsoft, include better understanding of the technical underpinnings of the operating system, better protection against security vulnerabilities and a resource for writing custom applications.

Denmark:

Despite some efforts to investigate open source software for use in the Danish public sector, the country has maintained close ties to Microsoft, according to Niels Svennakjaer, president of Commercial Linux Association of Demark. Apparently, the country's job retraining agency, called the AMU, experimented with Linux at its offices in Copenhagen, and they like what they saw, Svennakjaer said. A switch, however, was shot down by government IT decision makers, he noted.

Playing both sides of the fence

Norway:

New software subscription fees that Microsoft has imposed on its customers has fed interest among Norway's government agencies and schools in open source software. Few tests of the Linux operating system or other open source products have taken place. However, there is talk among public agencies and school officials to investigate ways it could use such software, said Fred Arne Odegaard, assistant IT consultant with Norway's Department for Trade and Industry. The country is also waiting for more direction from the European Union, which is set to present what it calls the eEurope plan later this month, which will include discussions on open source, Odegaard said. Some issues that could stand in the way of open source adoption in Norway include security and vendor-level support, he said.

U.K.:

An increase in licensing fees for Microsoft software pushed the U.K.'s Office of Government Commerce (OGC) into negotiations with the software maker to lower the cost of desktop software used by nearly 500,000 government employees. Microsoft agreed to new terms with the U.K, which is expected to save tax payers there a reported $150 million over three years. Still, the government is allowing individual departments to acquire open source software in place of Microsoft products, according to an OGC spokesman. Separately, the U.K. police force embarked on a study in January to test Linux for use on its 60,000 desktops used by police officers in England and Wales.

Re:Countries Who Love Microsoft

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=3734;start=0#37677 date=1023822254]
    Denmark:

Despite some efforts to investigate open source software for use in the Danish public sector, the country has maintained close ties to Microsoft, according to Niels Svennakjaer, president of Commercial Linux Association of Demark. Apparently, the country's job retraining agency, called the AMU, experimented with Linux at its offices in Copenhagen, and they like what they saw, Svennakjaer said. A switch, however, was shot down by government IT decision makers, he noted.
    [/quote]

Kill me...

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=3734;start=0#37677 date=1023822254]

U.K.:

An increase in licensing fees for Microsoft software pushed the U.K.'s Office of Government Commerce (OGC) into negotiations with the software maker to lower the cost of desktop software used by nearly 500,000 government employees. Microsoft agreed to new terms with the U.K, which is expected to save tax payers there a reported $150 million over three years. Still, the government is allowing individual departments to acquire open source software in place of Microsoft products, according to an OGC spokesman. Separately, the U.K. police force embarked on a study in January to test Linux for use on its 60,000 desktops used by police officers in England and Wales.
    [/quote]

Uh, just give me a severe beating..

I was going to make a smug posting when i noticed that Canada was not mentioned as one of the countries giving Billy boy a blowjob, but then I realized that the Canadian government probably doesn't have computers... ah well...

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=13;threadid=3734;start=0#37704 date=1023831924]
    I was going to make a smug posting when i noticed that Canada was not mentioned as one of the countries giving Billy boy a blowjob, but then I realized that the Canadian government probably doesn't have computers... ah well...
    [/quote]

LOL

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=13;threadid=3734;start=0#37704 date=1023831924]
    [/quote]
    ROFL. I'm not sure if I should smite you or applaud you. Which would you prefer?

Smite! Smite!

And if everyone now looks to the left of Fetzaa's post, they'll notice an additional smite.

Our Government (New Zealand) seems to like MS. They signed a $10m ($NZ) deal with them to provide software to schools. I wonder how much the next figure will be in a few years time? In the meantime, the NZ Open Source Society is forming and hopefully we will be able to get the Government to look into it. Our darn education/technology (?) minister shrugged OSS off last time. He can't ignore us/Linux forever I hope he gets a shock at the figures for the next MS deal.

It looks like Feztaa beat me to -10 karma. Who would've thought?