Thread: The little things

Hybrid View

Mentor

The little things

I've got my LFS distro up and running, got X4.0.2 in there, and am now fine tuning. How do I make modules load at boot up? I need them to be loaded quite early as my ethernet drives are modules. Secondly, you may have seen my post asking about the watch command, found that just added a dir to my path, I now need the which command. I have looked at the book through all different packages and can't see it. Any ideas? Aside from this I must say it is quite satisfying to have built up my own distro from source, and I can't wait until I have these little things fixed, and networking and GLX working.
    CP

Re:The little things

[quote author=CP link=board=1;threadid=3724;start=0#37607 date=1023763588]I've got my LFS distro up and running, got X4.0.2 in there, and am now fine tuning. How do I make modules load at boot up? I need them to be loaded quite early as my ethernet drives are modules.[/quote]

You must haxx0r your network bootscripts to load the modules before bringing up the interface, and to remove the modules after bringing down the interface. It's not hard, you have to add about 6 lines max.

I now need the which command.
    Some dork removed the answer to this question from the faq, and I've forgotten the answer, so you'll probably have to search google (or freshmeat) for it.

Mentor

Thanks, I've found the which project at freshmeat, and I think I can handle hacking the bootscripts.

Might I ask why you have Xfree86 4.0.2 installed and not the lastest release 4.2.0 ?

Mentor

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=1;threadid=3724;start=0#37647 date=1023794840]
    Might I ask why you have Xfree86 4.0.2 installed and not the lastest release 4.2.0 ?
    [/quote]
    I am a dislexic git : I have now got the modules to install themselves, but I can't get it resolve web addresses. I have got three lines
    nameserver 111.111.111.111
    in my resolv.conf file, obviously with different numbers, I have usually got DHCP but have just set up a static IP for myself. I have got the gateway and netmask set up also. Is there something I'm missing. I am totally confused by this. Also I downloaded and installed which, no problems there. Now the NVIDIA_kernel package is telling me that touch - q isn't an option. WTF is wrong with this. Has anyone managed to get them to install on LFS?
    Cheers
    CP

[quote author=CP link=board=1;threadid=3724;start=0#37649 date=1023795812]I have now got the modules to install themselves, but I can't get it resolve web addresses. I have got three lines
    nameserver 111.111.111.111
    in my resolv.conf file, obviously with different numbers, I have usually got DHCP but have just set up a static IP for myself.[/quote]

Does your internet connection actually work? Are you sure it's a problem with the nameserver? I had the same nameserver problem -- I could ping IP's, but couldn't resolve hostnames. Once I set up DHCP, it took care of the nameservers for me, and everything was just peachy.

Try pinging an ip address and tell me if it works or not.

Mentor

I can't ping any addresses, it tells me the network is unreachable and ret=-1. Do you know if I can set it up to use DHCP? Also does anyone have any ideas on the nVidia drivers as well?
    Cheers
    CP

dhcp just install http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/ that and then use dhclient eth0

piece of cake!

Mentor

[quote author=gorn link=board=1;threadid=3724;start=0#37773 date=1023866709]
    dhcp just install http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/ that and then use dhclient eth0

piece of cake!
    [/quote]
    Thanks, I'll try that now.
    </edit> It works, it works ;D Thanks very much for that gorn you be gettin some Karma. </edit>

Mentor

I have also now made the nvidia drivers work. I had to install the mktemp file. Just a little reading and guesswork do wonders. Well I am now off to compile KDE3. More fun ;D