Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Desktop?

Virtual Desktop?

I had used just two virtual workspaces for the most part, and then decided about a month ago to drop them all together and just use one desktop. I can only work in one window at a time anyway, and I have them maximized, for the part. I can easily keep tabs on what I have running with the taskbar (both in iceWM and now in KDE). This is even more true now in KDE as the Konsole term emulator lets you have several sessions open in the same window frame and has its own little "taskbar" (which is soooo cool!).

I'm not saying that virtual workspaces are bad or anything, but I just wonder how many other folks find that they are really not that important in their day-to-day work.

Re:Virtual Desktop?

I've only ever found a use for two myself, and 95% of the time only use the one.

I have a small monitor, and Im normally doing a lot of things at once. So :

cons (or console): for eterms, and logs
    net : browsers, xchat, gaim, etc
    code : duh
    etc : for writing documents and what not, also gimp, and xmms

I use Fvwm, and I have a total of 12 virtual desktops. Most of the time I only use 4 or 5, but it's nice to have the overflow just in case.

See, I don't minimize things. If I've got GIMP open, that's like 5 or 6 seperate windows just for the one program. To minimze them all and open something else is just a pain. Instead, I'll just move to a separate desktop, and open something else. You could think of "changing virtual desktops" as "minimizing a bunch of windows and restoring a different bunch with a single click of a button". Very convenient, IMHO.

Generally I'll have XMMS and an xterm with umix in it on the first desktop, then four xterms on the second (for mutt and whatever else console stuff I do), then mozilla on the third, and the fourth for whatever else I want to run at that time (gimp, blender, whatever). However, I don't "dedicate" desktops to applications like some people do. I'll put whatever anywhere, but as a general rule of thumb, if there's already something open, the only time I'll put another app on that desk is if the two apps are related in some way, and if there's room.

For example, if I'm designing a website, I'll have xmms and umix on desk 1, gimp on 2, some terminals for hacking HTML on 3, and Mozilla to see it on 4... and then maybe napshare on 5 just to download music while I work

I have 4 virtual desktops, and usually I use 2 or 3 of them, sometimes all of them, even when I have my windows maximized. I don't want my desktop to be cluttered. And I agree with Feztaa about the gimp thing: you really need one desktop dedicated to it when you work. KDE's "display desktop" thing is nice but not as useful as virtual desktops.

For example, when I work on a website, I usually have things like this:

Desktop 1: A bunch of gvim windows

Desktop 2: A bunch of different browsers

Desktop 3: Gimp

Desktop 4: Random stuff, like a konsole window. It's funny how I still want to dedicate a whole desktop to konsole, even when I have several sessions open on that window.

So yeah, I do use the virtual desktops, umm, wait, no, I'm totally addicted to them. Actually I suffer without my virtual desktops.

Desktop 1:
    Konqueror

Desktop 2:
    Mail / KSirc

Desktop 3:
    Full screen konsole, usually compiling shit

Desktop 4:
    KDevelop

I am using WindowMaker and use 5 myself. May add some more later. Have them set up: 1) Internet 2) Office 3) Utilities 4) Games 5) Multimedia. I have never like a taskbar taking up space so this fills my needs. If I switch back and forth between different ones, I keep the apps open (pulling them down just enough to get to the dock) usually. Now if I can just figure out how to move the clock to become the "face" of the dock, instead of the clip.

One thing about the KDE taskbar that I really love is that it can group associated windows, so when I have Gimp going with a bunch of Gimp windows open, the task only shows one "Gimp" place; however, clicking on that place pulls down a menu of all the Gimp windows, kind of like the old mac "Finder". This helps keep the taskbar clean, and all my windows organized.

Of course much depends upon how one works. I tend not to do very many things at once. If I am writing LaTeX or HTML source, than I have my editor and my viewer open, and not much else. If I am working in StarOffice, that's about all I am doing. If I am surfing the web, I have my bowser and e-mail client up.

But I do understand how useful extra workspaces are when doing a whole bunch of unrelated stuff.

I have to say it's a great feature. Why the hell should you minimize something you obviously plan to open again? Just like feztaa was saying, it's great for web site production. Have a GIMP or two on one, Quanta on one, ncftp and browser on another, and a couple other extra non-related on another. With Flux, this sort of thing is great since you can switch desktops with a turn of your scroll wheel. ;D

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=6;threadid=3720;start=0#38377 date=1024292621]
    I have to say it's a great feature. Why the hell should you minimize something you obviously plan to open again? Just like feztaa was saying, it's great for web site production. Have a GIMP or two on one, Quanta on one, ncftp and browser on another, and a couple other extra non-related on another. With Flux, this sort of thing is great since you can switch desktops with a turn of your scroll wheel. ;D
    [/quote]

I guess I don't see the difference between switch apps on a taskbar or switching to a different desktop- both do the same thing. Of course it really depends on how many things you do have open at once, I guess. Like right now, I am on line and have K-mail, Konqueror and an xconsole open. When I finish and go off line, I'll close out konq and K-mail and fire up StarOffice to work on some data I gathered in the field today and to type up some notes for the project report. Then I'll probably logoff and go watch tv.

When I am doing web dev stuff, I usually just have a browser and a text editor open. Sometimes I'll have Gimp or ImageMagick going too. If I am writing LaTeX its a text editor and dvi viewer. I may have GNUplot running as well and even StarOffice. And my one desktop plus taskbar handles this just fine.