Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

KDE 3 - The Future of Desktop Linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE 3 - The Future of Desktop Linux

KDE 3 - The Future of Desktop Linux

Although it is still to early to say for sure, I am finding that KDE 3 is pretty much the best GUI I have used in Linux. It is faster than the 2.x series and has features that rival M$ Windows' GUI while at the same time being similar enough for my tastes. Or, if you prefer, it can be very un-Windows-ish. It is very stable too, and very easy to work with.

The improved Konqueror excels as a file manager and also seems to be doing a great job as a web browser too. Don't know wether I'll keep using it as my main browser, but as of yet, it has done nothing to make me want to install another browser.

I really think that this one brings the Linux desktop to real world, non techie users. If you can use a Mac or Windows, you can use this. Hehe, let's see how long I can go without the CLI...

Good Guru

Re:KDE 3 - The Future of Desktop Linux

I give you 3 days

[quote author=Schotty link=board=6;threadid=3692;start=0#37380 date=1023642024]
    I give you 3 days
    [/quote]

Well, maybe. I already cheated while restoring some backup files- I tend to do my serious file management at the CLI, and copying the backup files was no exception. So, I guess I already lost.

But, the CLI is there and easy to use for those of us who want it. I could have done the same thing in Konq- just not as efficently perhaps, or perphaps not. I am just not use to it yet.

Good Guru

So what got you hooked on CLI only usage? I use both to my advantage.

[quote author=cga link=board=6;threadid=3692;start=0#37375 date=1023637735]
    Although it is still to early to say for sure, I am finding that KDE 3 is pretty much the best GUI I have used in Linux. It is faster than the 2.x series and has features that rival M$ Windows' GUI while at the same time being similar enough for my tastes. Or, if you prefer, it can be very un-Windows-ish. It is very stable too, and very easy to work with.
    [/quote]

cga, I've been thinking of starting a thread where I say something like this. I agree. When I installed SuSE, it came with KDE 3 and I must say I'm really really impressed with it. Ok, it has too much, erm, features to my taste, but it's a lot faster than KDE 2 and has some nice eye candy.

The improved Konqueror excels as a file manager and also seems to be doing a great job as a web browser too.
    I like it too. Although I hate GUI file managers, Konqueror is the best GUI file manager I've seen so far, and I'd use it if someone forced me to be without CLI. Konqueror seems to be a nice web browser too, although I still prefer Opera.

So far, KDE 3 seems really nice. Let's see how long I can survive without Window Maker...

[quote author=Schotty link=board=6;threadid=3692;start=0#37390 date=1023646721]
    So what got you hooked on CLI only usage? I use both to my advantage.

[/quote]

I do use both, as needed. Mostly, I use CLI for pattern matching and doing stuff like batch renames and what not. For day-to-day stuff, I kinda like using Konq.

I had been using a combo of CLI and Midnight Commander under iceWM for quite some time, so this Konqueror is quite a change, and a pleasent one, I might add. Love the preview thumbnails!

[quote author=NGene link=board=6;threadid=3692;start=0#37399 date=1023652317]
    [quote author=cga link=board=6;threadid=3692;start=0#37375 date=1023637735]
    [/quote]

cga, I've been thinking of starting a thread where I say something like this. I agree. When I installed SuSE, it came with KDE 3 and I must say I'm really really impressed with it. Ok, it has too much, erm, features to my taste, but it's a lot faster than KDE 2 and has some nice eye candy.

The improved Konqueror excels as a file manager and also seems to be doing a great job as a web browser too.
    I like it too. Although I hate GUI file managers, Konqueror is the best GUI file manager I've seen so far, and I'd use it if someone forced me to be without CLI. Konqueror seems to be a nice web browser too, although I still prefer Opera.

So far, KDE 3 seems really nice. Let's see how long I can survive without Window Maker...
    [/quote]

I find this new KDE to be very feature rich and yet it feels less bulky than the 2.x series. It just seems to flow in much more organic way where as prior KDE's still seemed mechanical and clunky. I wonder, too, how much is KDE, how much is SuSE, and how much is me (I did just switch from mandrake to SuSE).

So, while it does have a lot of stuff, it seems to just run better and to be very, very easy to tweak.

So, will NGene return to WindowMaker? Will cga return to iceWM? Or will KDE 3 emerge victorious with two new converts?

Good Guru

[quote author=NGene link=board=6;threadid=3692;start=0#37399 date=1023652317]
    [/quote]

I must say that the GNOME files manager nautilus, is pretty good. Its pretty and usable. Plus the functionality is all there.

Using combreloc KDE3 is nearly as fast as Fluxbox for me..

[quote author=NGene link=board=6;threadid=3692;start=0#37399 date=1023652317]So far, KDE 3 seems really nice. Let's see how long I can survive without Window Maker...
    [/quote]

I'm experiencing the same test, I dunno if I can live without Windowmaker either. I'm pondering downloading and compiling fluxbox to give that a shot too...