Thread: encrypted filesystem

encrypted filesystem

i've heard you can have a filesystem encrypted using the loopback device. how does this work? and hows the speed? i might wanna use this for my gaim logs, but if it takes a long time to write to then its pointless. and this is on a laptop so i'd rather it not use much cpu power. encrypted enough to say keep the feds out. (not that i really have anything to hide, but its none of their business what i talk about)

thanks!

Re:encrypted filesystem

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Loopback-E...tem-HOWTO.html

i should look before i post... but i figure the more time i have it posted the sooner the reply...

but still has anyone implemented this?

I have and so did a friend of mine about a year back. It's pretty cool and it's not to tough to do. I didn't follow the link, but if it is the encrypted FS where you use the international kernel patch it's the one .

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=2;threadid=3705;start=0#37527 date=1023730531]
    I have and so did a friend of mine about a year back. It's pretty cool and it's not to tough to do. I didn't follow the link, but if it is the encrypted FS where you use the international kernel patch it's the one .
    [/quote]

yea i saw some info on other stuff too, but the kerneli with loopback seems to be the best method.

nother question, do i actually have to have a file or could i losetup -d whatever /dev/loop0 /dev/hdaX ? i know i could just have a extfs with it on there, but i dont see much point if i'm just gonna be having a fixed size encrypted and i'm reformating soon.

thanks