Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Whats your OS?

View Poll Results: Whats Your OS?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linux (one of the many Flavors)

25 89.29%
  • Windows something or other...

0 0%
  • MacOS

1 3.57%
  • BSD (one of the many)

1 3.57%
  • Other (Tell us what it is!!)

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your OS?

Whats your OS?

Well, whats your os?

At the moment I am using Slackware 9.1 on my Desktop with 2.4.22 kernel, Slackware 9.1 on my Dell CPx laptop which is currently compiling a 2.6.5 kernel, and Debian 3.0r2 (sid) on my servers.

Although this will change with the weather!!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jme
    At the moment I am using Slackware 9.1 on my Desktop with 2.4.22 kernel, Slackware 9.1 on my Dell CPx laptop which is currently compiling a 2.6.5 kernel, and Debian 3.0r2 (sid) on my servers.

Although this will change with the weather!!

Jamie
    Very nice!!

Do you use swaret and/or dropline?

Have been using Swaet for a while now - although there are still a few bugs - especially with the ALSA upgrades at the moment. Nothing that can't be fixed though - just changes a few permissions so that normal users cannot use the sound server.

Never used dropline, so any comments might be able to sway me!

Jamie

!w00t! FreeBSD of course, wouldnt have it any other way

ive used dropline before, the team does a good job putting it together, and great at keeping it up to date

ofcourse ports does too :roll: :P

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    !w00t! FreeBSD of course, wouldnt have it any other way
    I have never used any of the BSD's, but have been meaning to get around to it. I am in the process of getting an email server working and found this tutorial which uses FreeBSD as the OS for the mail server.

Have you ever used Linux and which varieties have you used. How do the two compare?

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    ive used dropline before, the team does a good job putting it together, and great at keeping it up to date
    If that is the case will have to look into that tonight too - oh well, another night lost when I should be doing my disertation!! :P

Jamie

yea ive used most of the linux distros usually for testing purposes, i tend to be a purist and stick to the Unix variants like BSD more closely, i grew up on UNIX (AIX and True64 to be specfic) so i feel at home, as far as the difference, they are very similar to be basic, but if you dig in deeper they are nothing alike, if you consider the kernel, the userland tools ect ect, personally i like the BSD's better, they tend to be more stable, more secure, stricter testing and release guidlines, i love the userland tools and i like the target market and focus of the groups they stay on track, where as (in my oppinion) linux distros are altering a good thing into a Windows replacment, and using the gaming target market as their inspiration, thats a path id rather not take

btw just download the dropline installer, fire it up, and go to bed, it will download and install it all for you

I agree that some of the Linux distros are trying to become a Windows alternative, rather than replacement. I have really tried to stay away from these ones though - i prefered to get my hands dirty from the start and spent the first few months pulling my hair out using the CLI rather than the GUI tools - but looking back I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I have never used Unix before, but am trying to get my hands on one of the old sparcs that the computer science dept are selling off. I mainly use Slackware nowdays, and I've been lead to believe that it's the most BSD-like of the distributions - especially in the startup script areas.

My OS

Bleh, being new to linux, I started with SuSE. Still running SuSE a year later . Maybe I should surf for some more?