Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Are all SPARC 5s create equal?

Thread: Are all SPARC 5s create equal?

Are all SPARC 5s create equal?

Are all SPARC 5s basically the same? The reason I ask is because I want to throw some more memory into mine, but, being very unfamilar with sun platforms, I'm wondering if mine will take the same RAM as any other SPARC 5. I guess I have some research to do.

Good Guru

Re:Are all SPARC 5s create equal?

Hmm, that one has me. I would say check on Sun's webpage. Check from what you got/will be getting to what is required for that box. I found a little doodad that does that on their page.

Most have the same base, and same parts, just a different arrangement of parts. I think that the system board is the same across all of them, so memory from one sparc5 should work in another sparc5.

AFAIK they all take the same memory compnents. The speeds and amount of memory/slots are diffrent between versions of Sparc 5's.

Advisor

I good source for resources on older sparcs is www.obsolyte.com ooh, and if you got some extra ram for a sparc 5...i would be intersted, mine only has 32 megs

Yeah... I have 80 Megs in mine...

That and 2 hard drives...

I want to get more-- These things could be stacked on top of each other quite easily. Then I could accomplish two things:

1.) Have an impressive looking, yet unimpressive performing cluster,

2.) Heat the majority of my house.
    ;D

Advisor

[quote author=alc6379 link=board=10;threadid=3664;start=0#38457 date=1024346748]
    Yeah... I have 80 Megs in mine...

That and 2 hard drives...

I want to get more-- These things could be stacked on top of each other quite easily. Then I could accomplish two things:

1.) Have an impressive looking, yet unimpressive performing cluster,

2.) Heat the majority of my house.
    ;D
    [/quote]
    how much total HD space do you have then? I've got 1 gig in mine. And how fast is yours? (mine's 110 mhz). Also, what OS are you running on it, solaris? I have netBSD on mine but it's giving me some problems, so I'm thinking I might give debian a try.