Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Something weird is going on in 2.4.18-4.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something weird is going on in 2.4.18-4.

Something weird is going on in 2.4.18-4.

In RH 7.3 with the 2.4.18-4, on occasion I will get a Kernel Panic: Aiee!! It then does the good ol' "halting interrupt handler". At first the kernel would not work at all, until I set my BIOS to use 'Ansyncronous mode: 133/166' enableling my DDR 2700. It wouldn't be a prob, except that I'm very lucky to hold a 2 day uptime, plus the system seems to really lag. I can use the 2.4.18-3 w/o the async mode, but it runs very slow. I didn't have this prob with either until I put the new mobo in. I did a fresh install after installing, and this is what I get. I'm using a Iwill XP333-R (Ali MAJIK 1, C version) , with an AthlonXP 1700+, and a 256MB PC2400 chip.

Re:Something weird is going on in 2.4.18-4.

Hey KK! I just went with te 18-4 kernel also. I upgraded it to get my nvidia card working in agp. Havent seen any problems like you have mentioned though. Might want to try a fresh install and upgrade.

append="mem=nopentium" ??

maybe you're having the good ol' AMD memery page error ?

Good Guru

Jesus Christ on a Motorcyle!!!! LC -- you may have just fixed my box!!!!!

Sorry KK

Anyhow, KK, that may work, however, I would still step thru the BIOS settings and check things over. The three things that are most likely to give you pain are the RAM, CPU,a nd AGP settings. That is provided that the kernel is a stable kernel and you are running the proper drivers for your northbridge and southbridge, and video card.

Hell, maybe LC fixed two people problems today

yea the nopentium fix has done untold wonders for my box. i got many file system errors and strange lockups prior to applying it. i was hoping RH would put it in or that it would be fixed in 2.4.18 but not sucj luck.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=2;threadid=3644;start=0#37055 date=1023457606]
    Jesus Christ on a Motorcyle!!!! LC -- you may have just fixed my box!!!!!

Sorry KK

Anyhow, KK, that may work, however, I would still step thru the BIOS settings and check things over. The three things that are most likely to give you pain are the RAM, CPU,a nd AGP settings. That is provided that the kernel is a stable kernel and you are running the proper drivers for your northbridge and southbridge, and video card.

Hell, maybe LC fixed two people problems today
    [/quote]

Happy to have been of assistance.

Well, I've double and triple checked the BIOS. That's how I came across this fault with the DDR 266 & 333 settings. Never heard of the "nopentium", just the "noathlon". :P Well, I guess I'll give a shot. ;D

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=3644;start=0#37043 date=1023452732]

[/quote]
    I thought they fixed that in the 7.3 release of redhat. I guess I need to pass that as a kernel option, seeing as how I am running an amd chip.

Good Guru

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=2;threadid=3644;start=0#37108 date=1023469578]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=3644;start=0#37043 date=1023452732]

[/quote]
    I thought they fixed that in the 7.3 release of redhat. I guess I need to pass that as a kernel option, seeing as how I am running an amd chip.
    [/quote]

I actually never needed it before for my K6 Series chips nor my Thnderbird core. I just figured that since the box with an issue is an original Slot A style Athlon, that may mean something. I dunno. I am just the reseident drunk

[quote author=Schotty link=board=2;threadid=3644;start=0#37131 date=1023476691]
    [quote author=Mountainman link=board=2;threadid=3644;start=0#37108 date=1023469578]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

I actually never needed it before for my K6 Series chips nor my Thnderbird core. I just figured that since the box with an issue is an original Slot A style Athlon, that may mean something. I dunno. I am just the reseident drunk
    [/quote]

Nope, I had the problem with my Duron based Asus A7V setup, I figure it's a design problem with the 6th generation AMD chips