Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

"Unbreakable" Linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Unbreakable" Linux

"Unbreakable" Linux

Oracle, Dell, and Red Hat form a partnership.

Interesting, considering how Dell always seemed to be in Microsoft's back pocket. Bill Gates even slept over at Michael Dell's house a while back. ;D

ripped from slashdot

http://siliconvalley.internet.com/ne...le.php/1276851

Good Guru

Re:"Unbreakable" Linux

Mmmm , me like !

Advisor

Well IBM came crawling back, and started supporting Linux on their mainframes, seems only fair Dell starts doing the same..

Its going to be hard to compete with IBM in this market though, I work for a IBM (not for IBM, but a company that buys exclusively from IBM) shop and I dont even know if they even consider buying non-IBM stuff.

Good Guru

[quote author=noblestknight link=board=13;threadid=3633;start=0#36927 date=1023385229]
    Its going to be hard to compete with IBM in this market though, I work for a IBM (not for IBM, but a company that buys exclusively from IBM) shop and I dont even know if they even consider buying non-IBM stuff.
    [/quote]

If I were the owner, I wouldn't buy non IBM at this point either. Makes life easier all around -- one manufacturer to bitch at, one invoice coming in, and one place to call for tech support. Plus, its not like IBM is going to just vanish off the face of the earth if one of their product lines fail marketwise. That coupled with a good company all around, I completely agree there. It not like they are buying all AlienWare

I'm not an expert on business, but isn't the first thing you learn in business school never to lock yourself into one distributor? Then they basically get a monopoly over you, and can charge what they want... or whatever, I don't really care.

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=13;threadid=3633;start=0#36970 date=1023416472]
    I'm not an expert on business, but isn't the first thing you learn in business school never to lock yourself into one distributor? Then they basically get a monopoly over you, and can charge what they want... or whatever, I don't really care.
    [/quote]

Your not really locking yourself into one distributor, you can always go elsewhere, but usually the company you are going with will offer a great deal to stay with them. Its easier to deal with one company if its possible.

Good Guru

Feztaa, generally I would tend to strongly agree with your point. But when you look at arrangements like this -- the contracts are very specific. I had the luxury of looking at some of our contracts that the Chuck E Cheese I used to work at had (there was a big set of meetings that had the corporates over at our area). And I must tell you -- the one company that had a noticeably higher percentage of floorspace had to kiss CEC's ass big time. Tech support call rates were 1/4 of the other big players, severe discount on parts. Its all how its done. Me going out and buying only IBM from CompUSA and stocking a small biz, well thats retarded and you are 100% correct. Me going and getting a very detailed 1, 2, or 3 year contract -- a much better idea

Contracts are great cuz they are binding in court here in the US of A. Plus decent lawyers are a dime a dozen

Oh by the way, did you know Chuck E Cheese was started by the same guy that founded Atari Corporation in the late 70's? I thought that was pretty cool when I first found out.

Good Guru

[quote author=Evil Honkey Kenshi link=board=13;threadid=3633;start=0#37109 date=1023469721]
    Oh by the way, did you know Chuck E Cheese was started by the same guy that founded Atari Corporation in the late 70's? I thought that was pretty cool when I first found out.
    [/quote]

yeah, that is a cool factoid The only real reason I left, wasnt the crappy pay. It was the fact that I had daily, sometimes hourly fights, over how the games are to be fixex with the GM. Note I said GM, not Tech Mgr. In fact for the first 2000000000x I got into these arguments, I had the Corporate Tech Mgr (the god of CEC techs) bitch the dumass out. I won every fight, but its the principle of it. I didnt feel like doing this on a regular basis, for 8.20 an hour. The work was awesome though. I reccommend anyone who can get a job at an arcade to do so -- in the tech repair dept. Hones the troubleshooting skills.