Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Favorite browser - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Favorite browser

Good Guru

Re:Favorite browser

Interesting view on it. And, BTW -- I never said your were bashing it. You just disliked it according to the previous post.

As for the rewrite to go from GTK 1 -> 2, from what I hear that is correct. I am with the understanding that GTK 2 repaired alot of stupid shit that plagued 1.xx. I must say that KDE3, albeit faster than KDE2 and by default prettier, is just too slow on the last generation hardware. GNOME can be shaved down and still look good. That is what got me originally on the GNOME bandwagon. I like that it was almost as fast as fluxbox and such, but looked better. But, providing you got time, try out 2.0. I got it running here at work and it is sweeet. Alot different than 1.2 and 1.4.
    KDE3, I must add, did do alot to make me look at going back to it as a main WM, but I am really just too damn lazy to fully convert. I have zero issues with GNOME, and having to rebuild my panels would be too much hassle. Then with the advent of 2.0 ... not likely for me to go back anytime soon. I really only dislike a few WM, but GNOME found a home.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=3603;start=30#42953 date=1027617502]
    I must say that KDE3, albeit faster than KDE2 and by default prettier, is just too slow on the last generation hardware.
    [/quote]
    true
    however, KDE doesn't aim to be a solution on the last generation hardware. all hardware needs to be replaced at one time

But, providing you got time, try out 2.0. I got it running here at work and it is sweeet. Alot different than 1.2 and 1.4.
    time isn't the issue as i'm currently looking for a job. it's just the thought of installing 60 packages (i tought it was about 30 but apparanlty it's 60 according to http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/installation.html) to get the entire thing installed just doesn't sit well. And yes, if i do install it it will be the entire thing because i always install the entire KDE releases and i think it's only fair to compare them if ur using the entire versions of both of them. KDE3 probably does take longer to compile than Gnome2, but at least u don't have to actually be there to get it installed. i just write a small script, let it run and 12 hours later i have a fully featured KDE desktop while it only took me 3 minutes of actual work. If i would install gnome i would have to install each package manually because they may not have the same installation instructions like all the KDE packages. and that is when i consider 60 to be too much

KDE3, I must add, did do alot to make me look at going back to it as a main WM, but I am really just too damn lazy to fully convert. I have zero issues with GNOME, and having to rebuild my panels would be too much hassle. Then with the advent of 2.0 ... not likely for me to go back anytime soon. I really only dislike a few WM, but GNOME found a home.
    i know what u mean. i am so used to KDE and love it so much that:
    a) i don't wanna change to something else
    and
    b) i don't wanna spend time right now trying to get something configured the way i like it when i already have something the way i like it that's sitting right there

Good Guru

Yeah, I see many of your points. I just hoped that more average users would have chimed in. Joe Bloe doesnt care about compiling, just using. To me, getting it all compiled -- KDE was a bitch (timewise, not work wise). So I dont expect Joe Bloe to do it without major hand holding, since the only easy way I can see (no RPM or tgz, is emerging it from Gentoo). These days since I am on RedHat or SuSE, I can NCFTP the RPMS off of a mirror, and do a

rpm -Uvh *rpm

and a while later, its all there for me. LFS users I pity :-\ Compiling all of that without a fancy tool like emerge has got to be horrendous.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate a REAL conversation, not some anal flamebait response like I may have gotten elsewhere.

schotty: if u really wanna get some responses to it i'd post that question again in the Linux Community forum because i have a feeling that a lot of people don't check this thread because it's actually about browsers

Good Guru

Dude, you know as well as I do -- #LJR rarely stays on topic. A thread about beer turned into US vs France for christs sake! I am waiting for the religion thread to turn into a "Does Dodge and Chrysler make a good SUV for less than $35K?"