and all i get is
    use '^]' to close
    whatami doing wrong ??? ???
    ==================================================
    dillo is written in c and is the fastest gui browser, but '
    its still in alpha.

Good Guru

Re:Favorite browser

Well, if I knew HTML commands I could help out. I know what you mean though, you need to tell the web server what to do then. Just like if you telnet into you mail server (smtp is port 25, POP3 is 110 IIRC BTW) ou need to tell the POP/IMAP server what to do (retrieve a message, mark a message as new/old, delete message...).

Associate

opera. opera, opera, opera.
    it is totally set up exactly how i like it...

Netscape 6.2

konqueror for 99% of my surfing
    mozilla for the other 1%

[quote author=coltrane link=board=4;threadid=3603;start=0#38598 date=1024457519]Gnome isnt THAT bad. I often wish we could have a WM thats contains the good things about both KDE and Gnome. [/quote]

No, I suppose not. But if I had to choose between KDE or Gnome, I'd choose KDE, and even then I don't like KDE enough to actually install it

Good Guru

Could someone please explain to me wht the hell the gripe about GNOME is!! I love it personally, but cant see what people hate it for. If you mean the fact that you have alot to install, point taken. I believe Ralinx put the issue as "dependency hell". Is that what it boils down to?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=3603;start=0#42906 date=1027611585]
    If you mean the fact that you have alot to install, point taken. I believe Ralinx put the issue as "dependency hell". Is that what it boils down to?
    [/quote]

well, combined with the fact that i've never liked the way it looks and works. also, it doesn't even come close to KDE3 imo and they're getting more and more behind the KDE team and i think that gap will only get larger as time progresses.

Good Guru

See, I disagre there. Everyone has their tastes (which explains the winders world still existing -- those without taste) but I have a very pretty and functional GNOME install of v1.4. Are there that many features I am in the dark aabout that KDE has over GNOME? Recall that I do not do much prgramming as of yet for X, so that may be a selling point of Qt over GTK.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=3603;start=0#42909 date=1027612484]
    Everyone has their tastes
    [/quote]

which is exactly why i said that i never liked it, that doesn't mean it's crap

Are there that many features I am in the dark aabout that KDE has over GNOME?
    for a complete list of features i'd compare the changelogs between KDE versions and Gnome versions that were released at about the same time. i'll give u an example though: KDE has had AA-fonts for well over a year now, Gnome just recently got AA-font support. granted, many people don't like AA-fonts, but just as many (and maybe even more) wouldn't wanna live without it. Gnome is playing catch-up with KDE. But the design of KDE makes it easy to implement new features (or even new programs for that matter) very fast. Seeing as how Gnome is already behind, i can't imagine them catching up because a lot of people are starting to get into QT/KDE programming and the amount of developers working on KDE keeps growing and growing every week. So Gnome needs to get a whole lot of extra developers if they ever wanna surpass KDE again.. i've heard that Sun is gonna start backing Gnome so that might help, but at the same time it could already be too late.

i must also say that i haven't tried Gnome 2.0 yet, but i haven't heard all that many great things about it. compare that to when KDE3 was just released. U couldn't go on a linux site without reading about how great it was. So gnome is now also in danger of losing a part of it's userbase. new developers of a large project like that usually come from the userbase.

and then there's another part. porting from QT2/KDE2 to QT3/KDE3 is supposedly fairly easy and should only involve small changes in the source code. i've heard that porting from GTK 1.2.x to GTK2 requires almost a complete rewrite. So while most of the KDE programs are already ported to KDE3, most of the really popular gnome programs still need to be ported to Gnome2 and as stated earlier, it will take more time than the porting of the KDE apps to KDE3. So all the time that will be required for Gnome developers to port their applications to Gnome2, will be used solely for implementing new features and programs in KDE. That's why i think Gnome will never surpass KDE anymore.