Thread: Gentoo has confused me

Mentor

Gentoo has confused me

I have downloaded the 10meg iso and will burn that to a CD. Then do I just boot that. I am a little confused as to whether or not I need a working distro on there to begin with. It seems that I don't, but like I said I am a little confused.
    Secondly, as I have to pay for international data is there a way I can make the emerge rsync process just access the site I tell it to. The mirror has a folder called gentoo-x86-portage, and the description of it is Gentoo Linux Portage Mirror. But it is an unofficial mirror and I don't really want to have to pay for lots of data to be downloaded.
    I am also going to use the XFS filesystem, good, bad or indifferent? I have read up what it tells me but I don't really think that it makes that much difference to me so will use XFS.
    Cheers
    CP

Mentor

Re: Gentoo has confused me

Is there anyone who can help me? *Please, the only really important one is getting to choose the portage mirror. I think that I've worked out the install process, and the filesystem is unimportant
    Cheers
    CP

you can set the default mirror in /etc/make.globals I think, or make.conf - both are fairly well commented.

and no you do not need a working distro, just boot of the iso and follow the guide.

Mentor

Thanks very much. I will set it in motion in about 30mins.
    CP

Mentor

My proxy is not behaving. I have a username and password that have to be used for me to access anything through the proxy. So how do I put that in the make.conf file.
    Secondly is there only one sync address that I can use. The portage mirror I can handle its the other one that confuses me.
    Cheers
    CP

Mentor

Re:Gentoo has confused me

That is I have f*ckin well given up. I have managed to download a snapshot of the portage tree, so I can start the bootstrap process but I still can't get through the firewall it manages to connect, and then it gets denied because of no password, but it doesn't f*ckin prompt. I GIVE UP. What a waste of a CD.