O.K., starfish, or anyone else who can help, I've got another problem with my Linux server. Instead of giving again the details of my setup, I refer you to everything I've said about it above in connection with the Web server issue. The new issue involves e-mail: I can send e-mails out and they are received as coming from "Ed@McCorduck.ws" (my main e-mail address on the server), but I can't send any e-mails to my Linux server; I usually get a bounce-back message saying the server mccorduck.ws "can't be found".

Here's the record of a typical e-mail I send out that does reach its recipient outside of my network:

Received: from edsgate.mccorduck.ws ([24.24.15.155])
by exfe1.cortland.edu (SMSSMTP 4.0.0.59) with SMTP id M2004060602400508122
for <Ed.McCorduck@Cortland.edu>; Sun, 06 Jun 2004 02:40:05 -0400
Received: from edsgate.mccorduck.ws (edsgate.mccorduck.ws [127.0.0.1])
by edsgate.mccorduck.ws (8.12.8/8.12.8) with ESMTP id i566bwiH008478
for <Ed.McCorduck@Cortland.edu>; Sun, 6 Jun 2004 02:38:55 -0400

Now, I had originally set up my Linux box's e-mail server, sendmail, using instructions from the linuxhomenetworking.com Web site. As indicated in my first post in this thread, I have subsequently sprung for the latest version of Peter Harrison's instructions in the .pdf book Linux Home Networking II (dated May 12). I'm revisiting his instructions in chapter 9 on setting up my e-mail server, and I note on p. 105 his example for how to check where Sendmail is listening:

[root@bigboy tmp]# netstat -an | grep :25 | grep tcp
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
[root@bigboy tmp]#

When I do this on my machine, this is what I get:

[root@edsgate root]# netstat -an | grep :25 | grep tcp
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
[root@edsgate root]#

The difference in output here naturally spurs my newbie instincts to tell me that there might be some configuration problem, reflected in this output, that's preventing my incoming mail from arriving. Am I correct about this? And if so, how might I go about resolving the problem?

Ed McCorduck
Department of English
State University of New York College at Cortland
http://mccorduck.cortland.edu
AIM: EdMcCorduck