Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Using a MS-Access dtabse in Linux

Thread: Using a MS-Access dtabse in Linux

Good Guru

Using a MS-Access dtabse in Linux

Does anybody kow of a program that will allow me to use a ms-access db in linux? I really dont want to rebuild the whole thing over again, much less to find out that it wont work anyway.

thanks

Mentor

Re: Using a MS-Access dtabse in Linux

what about staroffice?

cant you use their database program?

i'm pretty sure this comes with the d/l version of Staroffice 5.2 http://www.sun.com/software/star/sta...ails.html#base

Good Guru

Last time I checked, with the Win32 version, the suite didnt want to read the Access97 database. Maybe Linux supports it. I really only need something that talks MS-SQL6.5 since thats what server we use here at work. If I must, I can rebuild the damn thing, but Id prefer not. Too many queries and reports for my day to day work is sitting there.

I used Star Office (5.2) for this purpose. Had two databases I needed to convert over. Took me awhile to figure it out but they came over fine. If you go this route let me know and will tell you how I did it.
    --------------------------------------
    Does anybody kow of a program that will allow me to use a ms-access db in linux? *I really dont want to rebuild the whole thing over again, much less to find out that it wont work anyway.

thanks

Good Guru

If it woeks that is what Ill do then. I started screwing wround with SO 6.0 Beta, but the DB stuff didnt want to work right. I needed to start upa a db server with that server running the db. Since the SQL server in the server room hosts the database (actually three, but thats a moot point), thats not an option. In english, I need to use the Access DB that I use in Winblows 98 to do some reports, print invoices, and setup the disconnects/reconnects for the CLEC I work for. Almost everything I have tried to get working works. Just this DB stuff and the web app that we use for generating the EDI orders that we send to Amerifuck.

If you know how to convert that is great ! I need the help. I can compensate too if necessary

Actually it is a little time-consuming but I was willing to put in the time because I could not afford to lose those two databases. I first imported the Access DB into the StarOffice (5.2) but into the spreadsheet program. I then exported it to a db file. Then I right-clicked on a blank spot in Explorer and clicked on New, then Database (this will not be SQL). Set up your database by marking "General" with the title you saved your file (db) with). "Type" mark dBase. Under third tab (dBase) mine was already filled out with "IMBPC (437). Go to the fourth (and last) tab and your previously saved database should be listed. Click it and it will set up your database and import the files. Sometimes my directions are not too clear so don't hesitate to contact me to clarify them, if needed. No compensating necessary - I certainly have received (and still receive) much help from great Linux users who are more than willing to share their knowledge. Good luck!
    If it woeks that is what Ill do then. I started screwing wround with SO 6.0 Beta, but the DB stuff didnt want to work right. I needed to start upa a db server with that server running the db. Since the SQL server in the server room hosts the database (actually three, but thats a moot point), thats not an option. In english, I need to use the Access DB that I use in Winblows 98 to do some reports, print invoices, and setup the disconnects/reconnects for the CLEC I work for. Almost everything I have tried to get working works. Just this DB stuff and the web app that we use for generating the EDI orders that we send to Amerifuck.

If you know how to convert that is great ! I need the help. I can compensate too if necessary

Good Guru

Well, how do I get the access DB into StarOffice? I can't find an way to import it into a spreadsheet. Nor can I find an installed DB program.