Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

ARRRGGGGG!!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ARRRGGGGG!!!!

Re: ARRRGGGGG!!!!

I'm positive that seti runs on sparc, so you could lend your self to our seti team... if it's still around...

Good Guru

Oh yeah ! Seti team is also still searching for those aliens..... ;D so may be you can becomes one of those alien hunters??

Oh yeah ! Seti team is also still searching for those aliens..... *;D so may be you can becomes one of those alien hunters?? *
    I am deeply offended by that distributed-computing-choice-ist remark. It's time we stopped discriminating by distributed-computing-choice.

I am deeply offended by that distributed-computing-choice-ist remark. It's time we stopped discriminating by distributed-computing-choice.
    It's just that SETI is so unlikely to find anything ever, and even if we do, the benefits are doubtful! Genome@Home produces real results right now! It saves lives!

I was just messin! *;D By the way, how many lives has Genome@home saved?

To me, Seti is directed toward questions that get to the very fabric of the universe and of reality as we know it. That is more compelling than deciphering the genes of one species on an overcrowded planet, and which species probably will become extinct.

That's just me though.
    ;D

By the way, how many lives has Genome@home saved?

To me, Seti is directed toward questions that get to the very fabric of the universe and of reality as we know it. That is more compelling than deciphering the genes of one species on an overcrowded planet, and which species probably will become extinct.
    What have we got to learn from SETI? That we are alone in the universe? And what if we aren't? What then? That aliens think we're a bunch of retards and don't want anything to do with us?

Quoted from http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/science.html#real :

he Genome@home data will be used to:

* Try to unravel a fundamental issue in the "protein folding problem" (which itself lies at the heart of a huge amount of modern biomedical research): the fact that thousands of different sequences can all form the same three-dimensional structure.

* Predict the functions of newly discovered genes and protein structures. Modern approaches to structural biology, known as "proteomics" or "structural genomics", often solve protein structures without knowing what the proteins do. Because techniques for function prediction tend to work best with large amounts of sequence data, a virtual library of sequences for a new protein structure will be an invaluable resource.

* Potentially design and make new versions of existing proteins for use in medical therapy.
    Increased medical understanding of the human body and it's inner workings will inevitably lead to better medicines and treatment of diseases. In other words, Genome@Home saves lives!

Where is "the meaning of life @ home" when you need it ? :P

Good Guru

I was just messin! *;D
    I knew it! You are the black sheep!! :P ;D

Yeah like Feztaa said, my opinion is that our immediate needs are much more compelling than looking for some strangers from outer space. In fact, I could care less if they are there or if they aren't. But that's just me though and I LOVE science and space work but just not facinated enough to acutally look for Aliens myself.... ;D