Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Problem with StarOffice 5.2

Thread: Problem with StarOffice 5.2

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Problem with StarOffice 5.2

I have done something to upset StarOffice. Probably said "yes" when I should have said "no", or something else that has made it quit working. When I launch it, the Sun Systems logo comes on, as usual, but doesn't drop out when the desktop comes up. The red button light is on and I can't go anywhere in the system, nor can I exit properly. I have to kill the StarOffice icon, thus causing an X10 error. If anyone has any ideas on how to correct this problem, I would be most grateful. Thanks.

Re: Problem with StarOffice 5.2

Did you remove any libraries (or anything) from the instalaltion dir of star office? I havn't encountered any problem like that but it sounds pretty seroious . You might want to update the binary, or try putting a second installation in a nother directory (say, ~/test/) and running it from there to see if maybe it's a system wide thing and not totally a soffice thing,

You might get some info if you ldd the avtuall soffice.bin. Not sure if that would answer any questions though since most libs are not in standard ld.so.conf places.

...thus causing an X10 error...
    What's an "X10 error" ?

Ashcrow: Thanks for your quick reply! I don't know enough to delete libraries, or anything else, for that matter. I am only a user. I hired a technician to install Mandrake 7.1 which included StarOffice and so I wouldn't know how to go about checking what's wrong. I was trying to use the email, which a few weeks ago I managed to stumble onto the right combination and it worked like a charm but because I had tried so many ways to access it, I can't remember what I did, and was having problems finding all the hidden buttons, etc., but did manage to find POP3 in the files but couldn't get the emails because I kept getting timed out and I decided to quit for the night. There was a pop-up talking about something which required a yes or no answer and when I replied [can't remember now which one but obviously it was the wrong one] it said something about not being able to do something in Microsoft but would probably be OK at next log in. I logged back on immediately but the damage had been done. I have the StarOffice for dummies but it doesn't seem to handle this type of problem.

T048: I don't know what an X10 error is other than it indicates that X was not exited correctly. The bash prompt also disappeared but I know how to fix that.

Associate

Cybergal,

Been a long time since I used StarOffice, but if I remember right, if you go to your start menu, and click on StarOffice install it should give you an option to try and repair the program. I've never tried it, but seems worth a shot.

dalee

Start menu?? She's using StarOffice in Linux

There is actually a Start button at the bottom left of the desktop but I don't use it; just click on File to get what I want, so I don't know if it has the install feature. However, I can't get it to work, either, everything appears to be frozen.

However, I did get an email from my Linux mentor who suggested that it might be in limbo due to an undeleted "lock" file and sent me explicit instructions on how to try to search for it. If any of you know whether StarOffice has lock files, please let me know as he isn't familiar with this app. Meanwhile, I'll give this a quick try tonight but haven't much time to spend on it as I have to go out of town tomorrow for a few days and I will be without a computer but these replies are being emailed to me by cloverm and I'll read them when I get back.

Thanks for all your help.

Good Guru

Not sure if this helps much, but lock files prevent a user from running a program twice improperly or to block a second instance of the app altogether. Lockfiles are in the applications directory, your home, /var, or /tmp directories usually. Login as root once you locate it and delete it. Usually the ame has lock in it. When I get going at work I can load up SO and try it out and get a more specific file location.

Associate

Start Menu Geuss I gotta stop hanging out with winders users.