Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Seti Linux VS Windows

Thread: Seti Linux VS Windows

Seti Linux VS Windows

Ok, I have dual boot with W2k and Suse 8.0 - I've installed Seti@Home on both and after several units I examined this:

At Linux it gets about 10% in an hour
    At W2k it only gets about 6% in an hour

Is the Seti version for linux better/faster? Or is it linux?

Kind Mastermind

Re: Seti Linux VS Windows

Is the Seti version for linux better/faster? Or is it linux?
    Yes and yes. Remember, Linux allocates memory more efficiently that Windows does. Thus, if you have a program that needs more memory, Linux will try to allocate more for it. Of course, I'm no expert, so I could be wrong, as this is just my humble understanding of Linux's use of memory allocation.

d00d!! I dropped my WU time by almost an hour, just by switching the OS!

Good Guru

Yes and yes. *Remember, Linux allocates memory more efficiently that Windows does. *Thus, if you have a program that needs more memory, Linux will try to allocate more for it. *Of course, I'm no expert, so I could be wrong, as this is just my humble understanding of Linux's use of memory allocation. *
    Yes, you are very correct. That is a part as to why Windows sucks ass so much.

Good Guru

Some of you will remember that I've done some actual research on running Genome@Home on two boxes of the exact same hardware ( including brandname of internal components and speed ) with Win2K and Debian. One is with Compunuts_ljr and another with Compunuts_LJR. According to my stats, Linux runs about two units faster per each week ... Thus making Debian done about 12 units and Win2K done about 10 units each week.

It's definitely Linux ...

I could never get Seti to work in linux. I also couldn't get my Seti Gkrellm plugin to work either. :'( :'( :'(

Good Guru

I could never get Seti to work in linux. I also couldn't get my Seti Gkrellm plugin to work either. *:'( :'( :'(
    I dont use seti@home, but Is there a config file to edit? You may not have all of the info inserted into it properly.

Just a thought.

I don't remember editing a config file when I installed seti.
    It only asked for my e-mail the first time I started it (to get my stats)....that's it.

I could never get Seti to work in linux. I also couldn't get my Seti Gkrellm plugin to work either.
    You probably got the wrong CLI client. I had an easier time installing it on Linux then Win. As for the "SETI@home" dock for GKrellM, I've never tried to get it to execute the client on it's own. Just use a term, and all is good.