Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: national ISPs with unix shell access

national ISPs with unix shell access

does anyone here know if there are any national ISPs that provide PPP dialup with access to a unix shell account? *This used to be common, but now it's very rare. *Any other thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Joey

Good Guru

Re: national ISPs with unix shell access

Well, it depends on your area but check this out.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

dialup sucks.

dialup sucks.
    That's just what a new member to ljr wants to hear. Great help TeRG.

Perhaps they cannot afford anything but dialup (not everyone as wealthy as you) or broadband is not available in their area.

Amazing how some post questions and expect proper answers, but when it comes time to help others.

Agreed! This is a place where you go for help, not opinions.
    I ALSO agree that dial-up sucks, but since this is a hobby for me, I can't justfy anything but dial-up on a cost basis. I also have a REAL problem with Time-Warner/AOL.
    Atvar32, I wish I could help you, but I can't. I use a local ISP and pay $9.95/mo. It's about the cheapest I know of. (there is a ISP called fiveninetyfive.net, but I've never looked into it.)

I checked it out using that Google search string (modified a little) and came up with Eskimo North (www.eskimo.com). *I should have remembered them because they are old school. *The reason I am going back to dialup is price. *My cable internet costs me about $70 a month. *Eskimo North is about $22, a savings of $48. *Also, I'm spending too much time online so maybe this will help me cut down. *So if anyone else is out there looking for a dialup ISP with unix shell, you might want to check them out. *They even support Linux.

Joey

I simply can't use broadband because of availability. There's absolutely no DSL or cable offered here. I don't know if they'd even run a T-1 here. Cost isn't so much an issue, because I'm already paying over $40 for dial-up, although I definately couldn't afford $70. (That's a huge ripoff.) But on the bright side, for the initial cost of equipment, I could share that broadband with my neighbors and make them pay half or some other fraction, depending on how many people I split it with.

Good Guru

I don't know if they'd even run a T-1 here.
    They will. T1 service is the monthly service charge + mileage.

All they need to do is lay copper wire and have a repeater every 6000 fts from their CO. ;D

They will. T1 service is the monthly service charge + mileage.

All they need to do is lay copper wire and have a repeater every 6000 fts from their CO. ;D
    Well I live about 1000 feet from a CO, but this particular one is very small and doesn't even offer DSL, so I didn't know about T-carrier lines. Also, I asked them to check the condition of my lines since I only get 28k and they informed me that my two lines are multiplexed because there's a lack of pipes coming to the area. To me, it sounds like GTE is wearing out my butthole with their mighty shaft of monopoly power.

Good Guru

Well I live about 1000 feet from a CO, but this particular one is very small and doesn't even offer DSL, so I didn't know about T-carrier lines.
    Well, T line technologies are here way before DSL is the leading technology. Offering DSL involve much more investment than offering T (AFAIK). To offer DSL, they need DSLAM as well as Multiplexers and a backbone link ( such as OS3 ) for it. In order to have OS3 ( T3 which is 45 Mbps link ), they need to have fiber cable laid. For T1, they can either use Fibre or Copper ( and copper is typical use for most of T1 lines since it is already there ). So that makes it a differnece on whether to offer DSL or T1.

Like I said, for them to offer a T1 is to laid the cable to your house and have a repeater every 6K feet ( and no multiplexing of course ). So it's relatively easier to do T1 than DSL. In fact, T1 is common choice of business. Then it's a matter of which ISP will offer you the service. You pay telephone company only for the line and its rental but Internet connection is a whole different animal. If your ISP is 80 miles away ( which is most of the case since not every ISP can offer POP ( point of present ) to any city ), your T1 charges will be from your house to the ISPs POP rather than your house to Telco's CO.

Also, I asked them to check the condition of my lines since I only get 28k and they informed me that my two lines are multiplexed because there's a lack of pipes coming to the area. To me, it sounds like GTE is wearing out my butthole with their mighty shaft of monopoly power.
    Well, not really. When I was first connecting to Internet back in 1991 time frame, there is a shortage of connections in San Francisco area ( at that time I lived there ). Phone company will only offer multiplexed lines ( since it's cheaper for them and they only concern about voice quality than digital quality ) I had to wait almost nine months to get a free straight connect line. So yours is not so bad yet. As long as they offer some kind of connection, it's way better than those whom live in the middle of no where area and have no Internet connection at all and had to pay phone company for long distance charges to connect to nearest ISP's POP.