Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

.NET (The end of the OS ?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .NET (The end of the OS ?)

.NET (The end of the OS ?)

What .NET is and Why We Should Fear it as Well as Embrace it
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=686

Good Guru

Re: .NET (The end of the OS ?)

Nah, I don't think so... We are so far away from what they been talking about...

.Net is mainly based on ASP thing.... Thats required highly networked stuff to work out..

US do not even have 50% of broadband anyway....

Nah, I don't think so... We are so far away from what they been talking about...

.Net is mainly based on ASP thing.... Thats required highly networked stuff to work out..

US do not even have 50% of broadband anyway....
    There's more to it than that. *That's only half the picture. *Arstechnica had an article about this. *It's a very good read, and from what I can see, Microsoft is actually doing some things right for once. *CLR isn't tied to C# (like Java and its runtime.) *Any language with the appropriate compiler can compile to it. *CLR (aka CLI) and C# (actually, the .NET Framework in general) are ECMA standards, and so it can and will be ported to multiple OSes, including Linux (courtesy of Mono) and FreeBSD (courtesy of, believe it or not, Microsoft.)

The Operating Envoronment killed the OS allready. It's more advanced and has more capabilities. .NET is just a weird way to try to turn an OS into a OE accross a network. Psuedo-OE.

In a ghostly light, it looks like J. Holy Gates plans to become the www landlord.

Good Guru

If you think M$ had done right with the .NET thing, you must be smoking something...

It's the attempt to overtake all the network and its appliences as well. In order for you ( or anybody ) to participate in .NET thing, you have to have passport log on which only M$ has it. They are trying to take away your control of computer to theirs with backend servers and little front end need thus you will have no choice but to pay them for what they offer.

It's basically the ASP thing with all the backend processes done on servers ( and guess what they are based on ) and all you need is network connected computers and network appliences. It's the same BS that M$ is trying to make saying that the software you paid for are just to rent you permission and you never own it.

I don't like this. I don't trust it.

"OK MS, here is my credit card number, can you buy me a new car? Okthxbye!"

That article says its "developer's heaven". I suppose it would be rather convenient to have all those "objects" that you can just import into any program in any language, though I really hate the idea of renting software. It's my fucking software, I paid for it!!

Did you people somehow miss the fact that the .NET Framework (the CLI, C#, SOAP) have been submitted to a standards body? Yeah, .NET My Services is icky, but the .NET Framework doesn't require you to use the services portion of .NET.

Let me put it this way, the actual technologies that Microsoft developed for this, not the services, are the thing I am giving them credit for. Even RMS doesn't object to this stance. C#, CLI/CLR, and SOAP are all standards, and so as such, should be judged on their technical merits, not who created them.

C#, CLI/CLR, and SOAP are all standards
    I love standards. There are so many to choose from!

Good Guru

I didn't say anything bad about M$. In fact, I think M$ has some good creations, Office being one of the few.

BUT it doens't means what ever they are doing with .NET is a good thing. As history have shown, M$ will participate in Standards works only if it will benefit them more. And they seems to do embrace and extend more than embrace and keep.

I'm just saying that it's far from reality at this point of time and the way their implementation history with security related tools. Would you trust that on Microsoft??