Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Grasshoppers' Journal

The Grasshoppers' Journal

Hi everyone.

I just thought that it might be a good idea to make you all aware that some friends and I have been collaborating on a new linux newsletter. It's still a little rough around the edges and we have lots of work to do (we haven't got a first issue out the door yet), but I feel that the whole thing will be very promising if enough time and effort is put into it by the linux community.

We're tentatively calling it "The Grasshoppers' Journal" for now, but we are open to new suggestions in regards to that (it's been brought to our attention that the name doesn't exactly make itself obvious that it relates to Linux). We have a temporary status page here and a forum here.

We are currently looking for writers, editors, and people who just feel like contributing whatever. If there's something that strikes your fancy and you feel you just have to tell everyone about it, write an article and send it to us. Our policy regarding how often you have to write for us is kinda open right now...if you don't have the time to write an article for every issue, you don't have to; but of course, all of would like it if you did

If you're interested in writing or doing whatever for the journal, send an email either to Frith or ferrol (their email addies are on the status page), or post a comment or two on the forums, and we'll get right back to you ASAP (probably within the same day; don't expect too much during the nighttime, though...some of us like to sleep! ;D)

Good Guru

Re: The Grasshoppers' Journal

Nice idea but LNO Magazine is rather duplicate work of LJ ( Linux Journal ), LM ( Linux Magazine ) and LG ( Linux Gazzett ). And I think LG is free and you can download the LG via apt-get.

Nice idea but LNO Magazine is rather duplicate work of LJ ( Linux Journal ), LM ( Linux Magazine ) and LG ( Linux Gazzett ). And I think LG is free and you can download the LG via apt-get.
    oh...

hrm, are any of those written by members of our community, though?

this is meant to be a project made by the LNO/LJr community for the LNO/LJr community...if you don't want to contribute, you don't have to.

we're trying to produce and get this out on our own as a non-profit service to those of you who we've spent a large amount of time with. if you don't like that, well...what can I say?

Good Guru

hrm, are any of those written by members of our community, though?
    It can very much as well be if you contribute it. I personally know a few of the writers from LG and LJ. There is no need to limit yourself into only this community since we all benefit from the larger Linux community and their help also.

this is meant to be a project made by the LNO/LJr community for the LNO/LJr community...
    Hate to break the ice but I don't see nobody from LJR involved in making the idea of publishing. Even the name grosshoppers is from LNO. I'm a former grosshoppers but no longer.
    if you don't want to contribute, you don't have to.
    I'm fully aware of that .. and no one can make me do it if I don't want to.

we're trying to produce and get this out on our own as a non-profit service to those of you who we've spent a large amount of time with.
    I just tell you what I thought it's as it's. You don't have to agree. And I did say that it was a nice idea.

if you don't like that, well...what can I say?
    Does that matter whether I like it or not?? You don't have to care ... I just say what I think it's re-inventing the wheel ... We already have resources like NHF on LNO, PET on LJR and Quick Tips and HOWTOs on LO. How many more we need?? Instead of publishing journals, why not write more NHFs and PETs??

Mentor

Instead of publishing journals, why not write more NHFs and PETs??
    I second that!

No offence to Hamond but i dont think we need MORE journals, but what we could do with is better written ones, easier to follow, more in depth, not just from a newbie view either.

I second that!

No offence to Hamond but i dont think we need MORE journals, but what we could do with is better written ones, easier to follow, more in depth, not just from a newbie view either.
    This must be one of the few times I've heard Linux users say that they preferred to have LESS choice than more. Heh...

As I said, the name is not 100% carved in stone...we're just waiting for someone to offer a better name for our newsletter. Nobody has yet, so we're sticking with it for the time being; "Grasshoppers Journal" was only meant to be a placeholder, actually (it's starting to become permanent because nobody is suggesting different names).

boblucci, we're trying to make one with everything that you're suggesting. what we're doing now is trying to get people to post suggestions on the forum so we can make it into what You, the Reader, wants. this is all up to you guys and if you don't partake in the democratic process here, you shouldn't really complain if it turns into something you don't like.

make sure you voice your opinion so this newsletter can be what you want it to be and so that we can make it better for you.

Mentor

no one is complaining :-/

Good Guru

no one is complaining :-/
    Yeah, me neither .... May be I need to reexamine my way of constructive critisium .... Giving opinion is not the same as bitching ......

don't worry about it, guys

this is the time when people should complain or criticize what we're doing...before we start producing everything. as I said, we're aiming to make this newsletter palatable to the community and if anything we're doing offends or bothers anybody, we want to know!

also, if anyone has any ideas about how we might be able to do anything better, feel free to say so! we're always interested in getting new input 8)

Good Guru

What would you like help with? I dunno about the other volunteers, but lemme know some stuff, and I can help out as much as I can (limited on spare time, but not horribly anymore).