Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft slams embedded Linux

Mentor

Microsoft slams embedded Linux

Linux companies are incensed by a recently published Microsoft document that compares Windows XP Embedded to embedded Linux. The critics are calling some of the document's claims misleading or factually wrong.
    http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...kpt=zdnnp1tp02

Mentor

Re: Microsoft slams embedded Linux

(Linux is) difficult to develop for, expensive and insecure.

f*ck MS. an embedded are is the last place MS will make it because the embedded stuff can't handle bloat and make it in the market.

Yes, well, as I'm sure we all know, believing anything Microsoft says about Linux (or the GPL for that matter) is like believing anything Stalin says about the US constitution.

Yeah PBHarris!! I wrote an e-mail to webmaster@microsoft.com (I didn't care who it actually needed to be sent to) right after I read that. Here it is. Keep in mind I was mad and controling my mouth.

I really don't care who this e-mail should have been sent to or what. Right
    now I'm a little annoyed by something I have just read at ZDNet.com and on
    the M$ web site.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/emb...notlinux.asp*- Microsoft Document

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...t=zdnnp1tp02*- ZDNet Document

What the heck is his about huh?! I have been using M$ OS's since Win 3.1. I
    have likes and dislikes for them. The thing that is getting me very annoyed
    with you people is the bashing of Open Source projects and Linux in public!
    What kind of company are you?! Its okay to state opinions about how WinXP
    embedded compares to Linux (how can you even tell yet? its only been out for
    a few months. Linux has been out for years....) but to state that your
    software IS better, well thats a load of crap. I have recently switched to
    Linux and I actually ENJOY it. No blue screens of death (like the one that
    occurred when Bill Gates was showing the detection of USB devices on the fly
    with the new Win98. ), no protection faults or programs failing, BETTER
    handling for massive amounts of memory and control, and I could go on. *I've
    never seen a Linux company bash M$ in public (I'm new to Linux, so if I'm
    wrong, prove it. ). Why is M$ doing it to Linux????

You people are just trying to get more people to use your monopolized OS that
    has been declared unlawful by the United States Government. I'm sorry, but
    people have a choice in things (thats what the Constitution is there for),
    don't try to cram something down their throats.

As for better security, Linux has you whipped. Whatever you may think about
    open source and sharing the code with developers with and "many eyes" you're
    probably wrong again. There are tons of people out there who would rather see
    Linux grow more secure, and rise to the top of the OS market (oh yeah, and
    you know it. If it wasn't, M$ wouldn't be wasting so much time that could be
    spent perfecting your OS to try and rid the world of all Linux.), rather than
    hack and destroy thousands of machines.

I have been a loyal buyer and supporter of M$ products but since WinME, I've
    lost all hope that Microsoft can create something that is worth my PC. You've just lost one more M$ customer.
    Not that long but I hope it shows how pissed I am and I'll probably never buy another M$ product. Last thing I bought was Win98SE.

Yeah PBHarris!! I wrote an e-mail to webmaster@microsoft.com (I didn't care who it actually needed to be sent to) right after I read that. Here it is. Keep in mind I was mad and controling my mouth.

Not that long but I hope it shows how pissed I am and I'll probably never buy another M$ product. Last thing I bought was Win98SE.
    Whooaa - what an excellent response. Can ya let us know if they write anything back ?

Whooaa - what an excellent response. * Can ya let us know if they write anything back ?
    Hey thanks. I thought it was just a bunch of rambling. I still have that link saved (maybe the video too) of when the BSOD appeared during that showing of Win98, though its on Windows. *> I'll let ya know if I get a response. I'm eagerly awaiting one.

Edit 1 - Ah, just checked my mail and here it is.

Hello. Thank you for contacting Microsoft. *
    *If you are seeking Microsoft Product Technical Support please visit http://support.microsoft.com/directory/. Links for our Microsoft Support Knowledge-Base, Support Phone Numbers, and Online Support as well as submitting feedback about Microsoft products are available within the left-hand side navigation. *
    If your comments or questions are regarding our web site, please visit www.microsoft.com and click on the "Contact Us" link on the bottom left corner of the screen. *
    Thank you for using Microsoft products and services. *
    Sincerely, *
    Ben *
    Microsoft.com
    What a way to say we don't give a crap.

Edit 2 - Should I take the time to resend it to one of those links, or will I probably get the same lame response?

resend it!! I remember one less than lame response I got from ms. - it was when heard a balmer cursing the GPL. i can't remeber what it sad but it did not seem to be a auto reply.

I'm just reading the page about choosing embedded WinXP over embedded Linux. Just a quote from it. I'm so mad right now I probably coulndn't write another d*mn email.

Linux Is Not Free

While the Linux kernel may be available at no charge under Open Source, the total cost profile of an embedded device is a function of multiple factors, including:

Opportunity cost of investing in OS development versus differentiating via form factor design and/or value-add applications and services.
    Availability and experience of the development team (or 3rd party expertise for hire).
    Potential porting costs.
    Cost of writing specific hardware drivers or libraries when none exist.
    Investment required to continually develop or acquire the missing features or functionality demanded by the rapidly evolving embedded market.
    Hardware and personnel costs for code testing, maintenance and support.
    Expense of ensuring intellectual property is protected appropriately.

Failing to consider or underestimating costs such as these can have a substantial impact on both the hard (BOM) cost of the device and the opportunity costs associated with its time-to-market revenue potential. So called "royalty free" OS software licenses may apply to only a limited set of functionality and may be offset by higher upfront costs and incremental royalties for proprietary, value-added software.
    Yeah, right. People are supposed to believe that using XP embedded gets rid of all these costs?! I bet it adds more. > Take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/emb...e/notlinux.asp and click on Linux Is Not Free on the right side.

Mentor

While Linux "was never designed to address the needs of the embedded market," Windows XP Embedded is "comprehensive" and "proven," and is "the most reliable version of Windows ever," according to the document.

We found it amusing that Microsoft would tout the fact that XP is so much more stable that it only crashes once every 30 days instead of every two weeks,"

this is my favorite part of the article:
    Microsoft also criticizes Linux for not offering "an Internet browser that is equivalent to the features in Internet Explorer 6.0," and says that Linux's "five different window managers and at least four competing browsers" make things more difficult for developers.

"Different browsers serve different purposes, and the fact is that people should be free to choose any browser for any purpose," Tiemann said. He pointed out that some Linux browsers are more standards-compliant than Internet Explorer, and argued that Microsoft's strategy is to promote IE-compatibility rather than standards compatibility. "We believe that it should be the market which decides which browser to use, rather than Microsoft," he said.