Thread: Dion disc could bring PCs to a standstill

Kind Mastermind

Dion disc could bring PCs to a standstill

This is just a crock of crap. So, what's next? Malicious virii being loaded automagically when you try to download things?

Re: Dion disc could bring PCs to a standstill

This is just a crock of crap. So, what's next? Malicious virii being loaded automagically when you try to download things?
    you mean like when you download kazaa or audiogalaxy?

Kind Mastermind

you mean like when you download kazaa or audiogalaxy?
    Good point. I don't use either service, so I guess I haven't really thougth too much about them. At any rate, using software to generate income is no big deal, but implementing features that you haven't told the user about is dead wrong. Especially when those features clearly violate the trust of the user and only benefit the company.

Good Guru

I understand about protecting their property and all but making someone else's computer just because they are trying to play some music on the computer ?? That's just sick .....

Well what can you expect from Quebecers .... :P

that sucks....and here in Denmark it's actually LEGAL to copy CDs if you only do it for personal usage. We can even go to the library and borrow CDs and copy those legally.

It's so cool... But then the industry pulls a stunt like this, could I possibly sue them for trashing my Danish civil rights ?

Seeing as they are prohibing me copying the CD.

note: In Danish law we allow all kinds of digial copying of music CDs this way, so it would legally be the same to rip and album as to copy the CD.

that reminds me of some cd burning programs that trashed your pc when you regged them with a blacklisted serial ..

Good that im living in a country where i can legally give up to seven copies of a cd to my friends :P

Good Guru

No wonder that copy protecting scheme is only distributed in Europe.... They trust Americans not to be doing those crazy ripping stuff .... :P

I understand about protecting their property and all ...
    If you buy the CD it is your property and should be able to do what you want with it (though the music's sheed music/source belongs to the record company).

Good Guru

If you buy the CD it is your property and should be able to do what you want with it (though the music's sheed music/source belongs to the record company).
    Yes. You own the CD and you can break it, throw it away or what you want with it but the contents is not yours ... You just bought the rights to listen to the media that they distribute. You DO NOT have the rigths to change the media format. You DID not bought it.

Good Guru

But US law allows trancscribing to a different/new format. Thats like dictating a book, for a blind guy. Are you violating the copyright law? No. As long has he bought the book.

I am legally allowed to make a copy of a CD song into an ogg, wav, mp3, or whatnot due to that clause. Thats why mp3 playing devices can still be legally sold.