Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

The Challenge That Is Linux

Thread: The Challenge That Is Linux

Hybrid View

Mentor

The Challenge That Is Linux

The number of Linux servers at U.S. companies is growing quickly, faster than Windows servers and Unix licenses, which have become a smaller percentage of the overall server market. Sure, Linux's growth is from a smaller installed base than that of older operating systems. But where's it coming from?

http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20020502S0010

Mentor

Re: The Challenge That Is Linux

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that about 50% of companies use Linux on the desktop according to this survey.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that about 50% of companies use Linux on the desktop according to this survey.
    /me doubts that very much...

/me doubts those 50% to....

Good Guru

I don't.

They didn't say that 50% of companies have Linux as their ONLY desktop OS. All they said is that Linux has become a desktop OS in 50% of the companies and you are likely to find that in IS/Engineering/MIS departments. I've been to many companies and they have at least one box that can qualify as a desktop ( even though their majority of desktop users use Windows ).

The people polled in that article don't have a clue what it's all about.

Apparently one of the problems with Linux is all the different vendors. I can see how only having one vendor would make everything so much better, for sure. But only if "better" is defined as "risking the loss of the entire OS if that one vendor goes under." The very strength of linux is it's diversity! If one vendor goes under, you can still get Linux from another vendor! When MS goes under, windows will be dead and gone forever. One can see how multiple vendors is a blessing for the survival of the OS.

Also, one of the problems with it is all the different versions that exist. Why couldn't linux just release the first version and be done with it? I mean, do we actually need all these patches and updates?

*sigh* :