Thread: suggestion: setting the # of posts per page

suggestion: setting the # of posts per page

since this site is starting to act like a turtle more and more, it would be a nice feature to be able to set how many posts should be displayed per page. for instance: now it displays about 40 posts or something like that before putting the other ones on another page. but since the speed of this site has really decreased over the last couple of weeks it's become more annoying to constantly have to wait before the last posts are actually loaded. if we could set it to whatever we want it could get a lot better. then we could set it at 20 for instance, and it would be easier to just goto the second or third page instead of waiting for it to load 30 previous posts in a thread that i'm not even gonna read again anyway

what do u guys think?

Re: suggestion: setting the # of posts per page

I doubt it's easily possible and that there's a plug-in for that, but otherwise it would help my 28k connection to lower the posts on each page.

Let's put it this way: I'm on cable and I wouldn't mind decreasing the posts per page

I thought this site was on an OC-92 now. Even 10 Yahoos shouldn't be lagging on an OC-92. Maybe it's hosted on a 486.

Mentor

I deleted threads older than 60 days (after carefully saving everything). This should increase the overall speed of the board. I also limited the # of posts displayed to 30.
    I am going to start experimenting with the MySQL-based YaBB version. If I feel comfortable with it, I will do the upgrade. That should be the long-term solution to the speed problems.

I deleted threads older than 60 days (after carefully saving everything). This should increase the overall speed of the board. I also limited the # of posts displayed to 30.
    I am going to start experimenting with the MySQL-based YaBB version. If I feel comfortable with it, I will do the upgrade. That should be the long-term solution to the speed problems.
    Oh thank you! The members thank you, and i'm sure the boxen's CPU thanx you... nothing chews up CPU like a high traffic cgi page....

What database software is it currently using? textfiles? *shudder*

Thanks for all your hard work, cloverm

Mentor

What database software is it currently using? textfiles? *shudder*
    Textfiles. :'(
    Thanks for all your hard work, cloverm
    You're welcome! ;D

Textfiles. :'(
    Heh, I once wrote a PHP site that used textfiles as a database... it wasn't fun

Once I switched it over to MySQL, everything was l33t ;D